Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the dragstrip. What is the optimum rpm to shift?

Other than first to second. I expect I might need to short shift that one a little.

Also, do I dare hold the throttle pegged & fan the clutch, or am I inviting a big skyshot?

·
Banned
94 Posts
I would blip the throttle and shift while you blip it, Full throttle power shift, it is way more consistent than trying to fan the clutch every gear.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If your foot shifting then just above redline if your using a stock gauge for the other gears.

Also, do I dare hold the throttle pegged & fan the clutch, or am I inviting a big skyshot
If your stock wheelbase then yeah your asking for BIG trouble...depending on your experiance and gearing 7k is a good start and go from there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One down on front (16 tooth)

Stock length. No lowering links ( ordered but probably wont make it in time)

I am most concerned with the first to second shift regarding the big wheelie.

Does the power climb right to redline or does it level off? I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
One down on front (16 tooth)

Stock length. No lowering links ( ordered but probably wont make it in time)

I am most concerned with the first to second shift regarding the big wheelie.

Does the power climb right to redline or does it level off? I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet.
Please say you atleast have a strap for the front???

Shift at redline!!! :helmet:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

QUOTE]

Yes. :mrgreen:

I was under the impression (from searching threads) that maybe I shouldnt pull the front down if I didnt lower the rear.

I expect I should loosen up the rear preload and put compression on minimum & rebound on max. Correct?

I want to do my best to let the Ninja shine:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts

QUOTE]

Yes. :mrgreen:

I was under the impression (from searching threads) that maybe I shouldnt pull the front down if I didnt lower the rear.

I expect I should loosen up the rear preload and put compression on minimum & rebound on max. Correct?

I want to do my best to let the Ninja shine:thumbsup:
Strapping the bike is for the strip only and will be fine with stock rear height. I'm not saying not to go without a strap, but it will be pointless. I wouldn't worry with susp. settings. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that a stock bike?

Looks like she pulls pretty good right up till she hits the limiter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Had mine dynoed at a local bike show, and it pulled almost all the way to the redline. I would have to say the optimum shift point would be at that point. Lower and strap that mo'fo'!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have mine lowered 1 1/2" front and rear and it sticks very good. No strap, and just street tests - no strip runs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Strapping the bike is for the strip only and will be fine with stock rear height. I'm not saying not to go without a strap, but it will be pointless. I wouldn't worry with susp. settings. :thumbsup:
And if its a 04 05 without a strap, get ready for some really, really good headshakes when shifting... they'll keep your balls in check for sure. :eek:ccasion1 :moped:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the strap will act as a damper (sort of) right?

On my ZRX , strapped or not, it has never given the slightest hint of headshake. But the little I've ridden the zx10, though it hasn't happened yet, it feels as though it could happen easy enough.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Get a Raptor shift light (this will help your shift point consistancy alot) set it 200 rpms before the rev limiter-not the red line-and you will be hitting the correct shift point. This made the biggest riding difference for me on my '04. Google Raptor shift lights, they are not exspensive and really work well, install instructions are on the site. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts