Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas
When I first bought my 2014 gen4 here in Australia, I asked folks advice re rear suspension....I ended up with a gen5 link and dogbone plus a KTech dds shock from SDsting (thanks man!). I'm really very happy with this setup.
I'm very very happy with the bike overall but recently I bought a Yoshimura 3/4 system (the one with the loop) at a really great price. I wouldn't have bothered with the exhaust but this came up and I'm ready to get rid of that ugly heavy box under the bike!!
Anyway...to the point. I had an almost new autotune unit sitting here from a previous bike so thought my best and most economical option would be to grab a PCV, which I did from eBay ($150) and an O2 optimizer (the correct one).
Now however since I've been reading more I'm wondering whether I'd actually be better off to get a flashtune done on a dyno using woolich from a race shop here (they are very reputable and race winning zx10's in Oz superbikes) From a previous quote this would cost me around $450aud so not that bad...
Are there significant advantages to having a flashtune done for someone like me (not a racer, mostly street). I do like the idea of NOT having all that extra cabling etc with the PCV system, but what about the other changes that I can have done with the flashtune? Are they worth doing?? or should I just go with what the PCV can offer???
Like I said I've done plenty of research but I'm just not really clear on the advantages of flashing the ECU on the gen4 so I would like some opinions from those in the know........be much appreciated!!
P.S. I cant afford the thousand or so OZ dollars for the full on Woolich system with the autotune zeitronix whatever thingy and logbox etc, just interested in having the flashtune done.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You'd need a flash to change important stuff like de-restricting the traction control settings, exhaust valve solenoid warning light, the Kleen air system and the throttle cut.

I don't know much about the Power Commander but I know that it can't do anything of those things and they're all essential in my book.

·
Registered
27 Posts
auto tune is on the fly so for me works much better.

You'd need a flash to change important stuff like de-restricting the traction control settings, exhaust valve solenoid warning light, the Kleen air system and the throttle cut.

I don't know much about the Power Commander but I know that it can't do anything of those things and they're all essential in my book.

·
Registered
708 Posts
auto tune is on the fly so for me works much better.
You may be confused about the topic. JohnnyB is asking if it's better to flash his bike vs. use a Power Commander to tune his Yoshimura equipped street bike. The answer is yes, a re-flash from a Woolich provider is the better option for the reasons I listed above. It's not because 1 route gains more power than another, but because of the other limitations to the system that aren't addressed by a piggyback system.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would flash the ECU and install the auto tune and be done with it.
Oh I see what you're saying. I had to go back over your initial post. I haven't installed an autotune on my bike bike from my limited research I'd say that a fully integrated Woolich and Autotune system would be ideal but JohnnyB (like others) are adverse to the high cost of the Woolich + autotune.

I'd just get a flash and live without the extra few horsepower that autotune would net.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would flash the ECU and install the auto tune and be done with it.
So you're saying to do both? have the ECU flashed but still run the dynojet autune with PCV?

Or are you saying to just bite the bullet and get the full woolich + zeitronic wideband O2?
Which as I said is just too expensive for me......while we're on the topic, wtf do they sell their system to people like me in australia priced in USD???? Living in Oz we get reamed bringing in stuff from overseas with our shit dollar.There should be some benefit to living in the country of manufacture but...no it seems. Lets ride the tide of exchange rates for locally produced merchandise as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So you're saying to do both? have the ECU flashed but still run the dynojet autune with PCV?

Or are you saying to just bite the bullet and get the full woolich + zeitronic wideband O2?
Which as I said is just too expensive for me......while we're on the topic, wtf do they sell their system to people like me in australia priced in USD???? Living in Oz we get reamed bringing in stuff from overseas with our shit dollar.There should be some benefit to living in the country of manufacture but...no it seems. Lets ride the tide of exchange rates for locally produced merchandise as well.
My bad I guess I read it wrong. I thought you had the FTECU activetune. One one of my bikes I did the flash and FTECU autotune and very pleased with how the bike runs.
Really all you need to do is flash the ECU but make sure that they add the features you want.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Johnny the only way you can run that Dynojet autotune is by mounting it along with your oem O2 sensor!you must run the optimiser for the closed loop!now this is from personal emails from Chris at Dynojet!so what you have to do is way up your options!go the Dynojet way or go the Woolich flash way!because you already have all the Dynojet gear get your bung in your link and run your autotune with PCV and optimiser!if you check out all gen4 Aussie Woolich kits they seem to use a PCV for the extra tuning!Ive checked it out and sold all my Dynojet gear prolly to you actually and went with the Rapidbike evo module way

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnny the only way you can run that Dynojet autotune is by mounting it along with your oem O2 sensor!you must run the optimiser for the closed loop!now this is from personal emails from Chris at Dynojet!so what you have to do is way up your options!go the Dynojet way or go the Woolich flash way!because you already have all the Dynojet gear get your bung in your link and run your autotune with PCV and optimiser!if you check out all gen4 Aussie Woolich kits they seem to use a PCV for the extra tuning!Ive checked it out and sold all my Dynojet gear prolly to you actually and went with the Rapidbike evo module way
Thanks mate! yeah, I know I have to retain the OEM sensor which is why I have bought the optimiser.
So I'll have two sensors in the link. No biggy, my bro can weld an 18mm bung in there for me.
I thought the Woolich system used the zeitronic wideband sensor? Can you use a Bosch wideband o2 also? Not sure what you mean exactly by "Aussie Woolich kits use PCV for extra tuning"? All the stuff on their site seems to use Zeitronic/log box etc, maybe I'm not looking in the right place??
haha...no man I bought my PCV and optimiser used from the US, pretty cheap really....I understand that the PCV system runs on a compromised AFR in the closed loop region by feeding the ECU simulated data/voltage from the OEM sensor.
I've read though that you can tune secondary injectors?? etc-- timing et al though with woolich not sure what difference that would make to me. I will look into the box you suggest too.
Dynojet will obviously be cheaper now yeah, as I already have all the stuff. Still I could resell without losing too much I'd say

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
A lot tuning with Woolich do use a PCV also!if you do go W.R for the kit and autotune will cost $800-$1000 here in Aus and it's up to you!if your into tuning yourself using the W.R autotune your ability to tune yourself is a given with his kit!disable your oem O2 sensor so you can then use the autotune after you flash your ecu!Woolich has great feedback and Archer on here is the grand poobah regarding questions and knowledge with the kit

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I purchased the Rapidbike system for the reason is they use the oem lambda sensor to make adjustments and develop a map!after around 300klm you can then use your laptop to check out if you need to make any corrections so its plug and play also!Im pretty hopeless with computers but I'm getting better!I also have become friends with 1 of Rapidbikes electronics gurus who is in Australia training Aussies how to use their Master systems who will be their sales outlet in Australia!I purchased the 8 injector loom and he's been great with any questions and very clear in answering my sometimes dumb questions!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I ended up buying the full Woolich system with zeitronix autotune. Very happy with it so far but I haven't gone too far down the self tuning path as yet. My bike is sooooo much stronger already with the 3/4 Yoshi and K&N air filter using a mapshare (not right for my bike but it's a start).
I've already learnt so much about the bike, specially interesting to see how it's set up to pass emissions requirements (the stock exhaust flapper map made me laugh!).
I must give a massive shout out to Joel from WRT who patiently answered my questions which were really to do with my desire to understand certain aspects of ECU fuelling control and not directly to do with WRT support. Thanks very much Joel!!!!
I love working on/fiddling with my bike as much as riding it so WRT in the end was a logical choice and ended up not being as costly as I thought. Anyway thanks very much to those who responded to my original post especially "peterd" who sent me some very helpful PMs, cheers mate!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts