Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is looking at a zx-9 for $2800. It has 40,000 imls:suicide: Im goin out there to look at it this morning, anything specific to look for? I realize its an older bike and ive been fairly spoiled the past couple years with my bikes, so i wont put my standards to high!

D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1998. I went and checked it out.

First things i noticed:

Dent in tank from fairing stay(definitly been down)

Safety wired (track bike?)

6pot front calipers (is that stock?)

Adjustable forks (stock?)

He had pilot powers on it but they had never even gotten close to the sides.

Frame felt straight however we are gonna test ride the bike later this week when we have cash in hand for the guy...

What are some of the major issues with a zx9. I also realize this is a super high mileage bike...

D

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
98-99 bikes are very solid performers they put around 150-130 stock, but 145 with a full akra, and ivans kit and advancer is not out of the question. They have fully adjustable front a nd rear suspensionm, that is actually pretty good, despite its lo tech looks. The 98-99 has very few issues to be aware of. The carbs seem to ice up on cold damp days, causing issues, there is alos a notorous on off throttle hesitation down low in the revs, but the ivans kit adresses that nicely. Overall they are a great bike that runs pretty strong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
pay close attention to the gears, especially third gear. This was one of their few flaws, they either didn't make the gear dogs for third gear long enough or didn't give them enough slide room to properly engage (depending how you look at it). It is really easy to round off third gear because they barely contact.

In lay mans terms, get on third heavy to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear.

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a prob with 2nd gear.....but what bike doesn't? Other than that, no other probs. The bike ran good. It's strong for a 900. Most put out mid 130's with a full pipe and jetting. I wouldn't go back to a 9 after having my 10, but it was still a nice bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
front forks for leaking---wheelie bikes have a way of doing that. other than what everyone else said, the 9r is a great bike.

·
Registered
452 Posts
have a 99. put 34k on it no problems. only thing i've done is run synthetic oil after about 5k, added gaffler brake lines, and ebc brake pads. new chain and sprockets at 20k. Still runs srong. No real problems.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had a buddy that owned a 98 ZX9 with 45,000 miles that was still running the original clutch! Muzzy says the bottom ends on those bikes are built like tanks. The Tranny and gears are incredibly strong and they always left stock stuff in even when they hevily modified the engines. I watched video of an 02 GSXR 1000 with an on board camera red lined, full throttle try to catch my buddy on the straight away at Blackhawk on his 9 and all you see is the 9 pulling like hell and creating more distance between them with evey second. That suzuki didnt stand a chance. All he had was a muzzy full exhaust and a jet kit. Everything else stock!
It would probably be worth taking it to a local shop and getting under the plastics unless you have a friend thats a total gear head and knows what to look for. You could also ask a local kawi dealer mechanic to come by after work and pay him a few bucks to take a look at, those guys have an eye and ear for stuff the other 99% of us are clueless about. Best luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
pay close attention to the gears, especially third gear. This was one of their few flaws, they either didn't make the gear dogs for third gear long enough or didn't give them enough slide room to properly engage (depending how you look at it). It is really easy to round off third gear because they barely contact.

In lay mans terms, get on third heavy to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear.

John
If it is a track bike like mine, third gear will definetly be an issue. In 40k miles of riding, it has gone out twice. Kawi covered it the first time under warranty, and the second time I put in a '00 motor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
40,000 miles is nothing on a 98 ZX-9R it's just starting to get broken in
2,800 seems a little high on the price 2,300 on the high side is more like it if it's been well maintained , but if it's a beater pass on the deal at any price .......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '99 and love it! No problems. The 6 pot brakes are factory. Unlike most liter class bikes, full throttle launches don't throw the front wheel to the moon. Yes, they will wheelie, but drag style launches are easy to control the front with light rear brake pressure.

From the condition you have described, the 2800 sounds a bit high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts