Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on why the 08/09 ZX 10R was not a big seller? I had an 07 R1 and the 08 ZX 10R at the same time and the Kawi was a better bike all day long. Whats the deal here?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Looks? Poor performance at the track?
i agree with the statement about looks. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but performance at the track? I disagree with you on that! Most of the reviews and guys i've talked to about it, says the performance is great at the track!

·
Still here
9,051 Posts
Economy and the big turnsignals on the mirrors?
Small detail but kind of hurt the bike, I like the 04-07 turn signals OR if the signals are in the mirror, then put them in the mirror, not on the stalk. (even if they offer wind protection they are ugly.)

Rest of the bike looks pretty good and very modern.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
the 06/07s look like a fat slob, like the chubby kid at the park, and it handled like that too. The 08/09 has a funky front end for sure, but shiyat, its got the performance for track junkies and oddly enough, the angular lights work with the angular radar-buffeting design of the rest of the bike. just my opinion. My guess as to why it hasnt sold the #'s is because of the Ninja's poor performance in wSBK and Kawasaki's degrading racing image in every major championship

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
A few things...

The economy. In 2007 and 2008 when gas prices went crazy people snapped up all the 250's, 500's, 600's and 650's that were available. When the economy is good those people would be back the next year to upgrade to a bigger bike or to get the latest and greatest. Now that people can't get credit as easily or have had loss of income they can't do that anymore, so they're either hanging on to the bike they have, or have sold it all together.

Looks. The '08-09 10R is an acquired taste. Even though it kicks ass all over the place in terms of performance, it's not enough to convince the masses that they need this bike.

Purpose. More people are opting for bikes like old VFRs, FJRs and Connies. Things have reached a point where almost any bike 600cc's and up have enough performance to satisfy most people's riding style, leaving the 10R for track whores and enthusiasts.

Racing. The fact that Kawi hasn't had a winner in WSBK, Moto GP or any other major street racing circuit in awhile doesn't help. If Kawi could get a top notch rider on board, and made a successful return to Moto GP then all this would change.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The economy the economy lol common..get a better excuse... If the bike was better looking people were working overtime or having 3 jobs just to afford it! Simple as that!
I don't know how things are up in Calgary, but there are dudes here with master's degrees that can't get work these days. And a lot of the people who can find or keep ONE job can't make enough money to pay their mortgage or rent, let alone buy toys.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.