• '08-'09 CBR1000RR

Votes: 7 7.7%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinions on BIKE choice (UPDATE)

Ok guys I know where I am at (zx forum) and I have been a member for some time now. The '05 is sold and gone for about a year now and I am looking to add a bike back to the stable. The '08-'09 zx is a great choice and I LOVE the Kawi bike, fit, and power. BUT (and this is a big one) I took a test ride on the '09 CBR 1000RR and I owned an '04 for a little while. The CBR is pretty nice and has good power and it fits me ok (would have to get rearsets though *but thats on any bike*) but it lacks the raw race bred power its smooth and has DAMN good mid range dont get me wrong but still lacking. I really like the ZX for its raw power and performance. I have not rode the '08-'09 ZX yet, but this new bike will be a STREET ONLY bike. No more trackday for this one as track funds are being used for other needs. And I already know that this is bias but its ok. Please let me know what yall think the good and the bad. And looks do NOT count. THANKS :thumbsup:

****UPDATE****
Thought it over and looked at them both again and again. Then wife looked them both over. She said the ZX is the correct one (looks mainly and performace 2nd) and loves the '09 orange. So the choice will be the '09 prob. the orange (but I like to '08 green). Honda is nice and has great mid, but the oil issue and the lack of raw (wild-feeling) power has helped me make the decision.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Stick with team green. You want that raw race breed power and you said it yourself that the new CBR is lacking it.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i know you said looks dont count, but they do, that CBR is gross.

You answered your own question, you like the power and youve owned a kawi before and you loved that bike, so why chance it with anything else? get a zx10r.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
i know you said looks dont count, but they do, that CBR is gross.

You answered your own question, you like the power and youve owned a kawi before and you loved that bike, so why chance it with anything else? get a zx10r.
:+1::iamwithst

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Have you ridden a 3rd gen 10? I haven't but aren't they supposed to have a power band for track use mostly upper end power. If it is just for street use I think would like the midrange of the Honda. To get to the power on a 10 you can go to jail for speeds attained in 1st gear.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Honestly I'd love to try out the 08/09 CBR. It has a rocking motor even neutered from the factory and you can get a pretty good deal on them as well. The one thing that kept me from trying the CBR was the frequent report of oil consumption...I'd read up on it before getting on.

I've had a number of Kawasaki's (h2 750, 74 900, zx6e, 94 zx9, 01 zx12, 05 zx10, and now an 08 10) and they have all been rock solid.

·
Registered
677 Posts
the both rock, the cbr with a $150 gadget gets the hp back and is pretty much - to the 10, the 10 with just a slip on looses a lot of weight and is then pretty much = to the cbr's weight throw in a fuel controller and the the mid range is fixed so end result you basically the same power and weight (10 might have 7-8 more with mods since it seems to respond better) BUT....... IMHO I think the 10 has better brakes and suspension from jump street and since most people DO NOT change these things out I would lean towards the 10 if your 175 or heavier and plan on some track events. For the street who the fuck cares get a moped :mrgreen:

oh and yep that oil issue is like playing the lottery in reverse, don't let the fan boys fool you its a big issue and I think as time goes on its just going to get bigger.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you are planning to keep the new bike for more than 10000 miles go with Honda.
Positive points about Honda over Kawasaki:
1. Honda is easier to ride (handle).
2. Honda takes better mpg and is more fuel efficient.
3. Honda is easier to work on (repair).
4. 2009 Honda CBR1000RR is lighter than 2009 Kawasaki ZX-10R in weight.
5. Honda vibrates less than Kawasaki (very important in long rides).
6. Honda has better ergonomics (for sitting, controlling different staff over Kawasaki)
7. The bike and its parts (Honda) last longer than Kawasaki due to better quality in material and design of different systems in the bike.
8. Honda cost less for maintenance repairs and labors in mechanic shops and more mechanics prefer to work on Honda over Kawasaki
9. Honda lose market value slower than Kawasaki. In fact slower than any other brand.
There is another positive aspect which almost is a combination of some of above factors. The maneuverability that you get on Honda, you wont get on a Kawasaki. I am talking about moving your body (legs, seat positions, gas tank role, and ... ) in traffic or unexpected scenarios.

Positive aspects of Ninja over CBR
1. It has more power
2. It is tough to ride; not exactly tough but not a smooth as Honda. You might say what is good about this??! For some, that is a turn on because they show others they can control its power.

With no emotion involve, based on performance and other values I would choose Honda over Kawasaki For race, street, transport, cruising, and off road (transporting on paths other than asphalt) purposes.

What you read is my opinion based on my own first hand experience.

Respects
Shervin Asemani

·
Registered
648 Posts
If it's a street only bike and your not doing track anymore, i say neither and find either a 1098 or 1198 Ducati!!! I loved my 1098, the ONLY reason i sold mine is i only do track days now and no longer ride street. And Ducati's cost too much to fix when ya crash em!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Doesn't price make a diff? They're still whoring out the '08's that are leftover new. THe CBR does have great midrange, but it signs off early and goes way flat up top. Huh, looks are important, and the CBR is funky. I dunno. I vote for the ZX. Even if they were the same price, not sure I'd be anymore enticed by the Honda. I guess if you take out looks and price, I'd prefer the Honda, but it's up to you. I like the '07 CBR1000 looks.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Nice thread, I owned a 08 cbr1000rr last year and truthfully couldnt be happier I sold it for my 09 zx10r, compared to a zx10 my 08cbr was so shity in so many ways. First after I dropped close to a couple grand in the bike and it only pulled out 158hp to the rear wheel so I got pissed. I had problems with my clutch about 100 miles out and had to go back to the dealership and get a brand new one. On top of that it loved to eat oil like a son of a bitch. We'll say adding oil every month, and with no leaks any where. Over all the bike was good for mid-range and that was it, from 3000-6500rpms it was a great bike after that it was a piece of flying shit. I was a huge honda guy for years even owning a 07cbr1000rr too, but after my 08 I will never again deal with honda's. To many problems. Just to add I have raced a couple 08cbr's with my now zx10r and never lost a race yet.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
stay green, i like it too for the simple fact that i dont pass myself going down the road everytime i ride. good luck on the decision though. tis only money, you cant take it with you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can't go wrong with either bike obviously. If I were you I'd weigh the pros and cons. What is the most important thing your looking for in a bike?
For raw power the kawi is probably your best bet, but i'm sure the Honda is no slug. For an all around good bike the Honda is never a bad choice.

A tough choice for you :cool:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
How the hell are you going to ask a question like that on a zx-10r forum?!

Reactions: tedg04

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
I love my 08 i wouldnt trade it for most any bikes if fits me great and rides so so well!! But i hear alot about the cbr's great midrange and great ergos. Either way youll get a good bike, but team green FTW allllll daaaaay IMO!

·
Registered
121 Posts
While I love the CBR, I got my new 08 for about $2K under what Honda would let their bike go for OTD. A no brainer for that kinda money.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
I say wait until what '010 brings? They say it's gonna be the same as the '08-09 but who really know's? You don't wanna buy a bike an then be outdated already? I dunno just my opinion...:idea: I feel sorry for those guys that bought the '07's an then were outdated as soon as '08 rolled in. Even though I think the '08's are ugly an look like Jeff Goldblum aka Brundle Fly from the Fly movie. I say get one of those if you can't wait? I finally got the chance to ride with someone who owns a '08 an I must admit that it's a badboy! I was very impressed! It looks like it's a monster! Dude was pulling hard but my '06 was right there!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts