Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been running Pirellis for a long time (since the Corsa III's first came out) and I am getting ready to get a new set of rubber. I was talking with nakedinseattle and he pretty much swears by the Dunlop Q2's. I searched the internet and this tire is well liked. I am completely open to change. I just talked to my local shop and I can get the Dunlops for $50 cheaper than the Diablo Rosso Corsa's. I was just curious as to what my fellow forum members think. If you have owned either one or both before, please chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Skydork has a lot of knowledge on tire threads. He'll be in shortly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have used to sets of Rosso Corsa's. In my personal opinion this tires are really awesome and worth the money . Why ???

Pro's
1. Got about 10k mileage of road riding
2. Used for 5 track day session average of 100 laps total ( since its hot weather here i only use for 5 to 7laps each round so that i dont overheat tire)
3. Cornering grip is excellent as side rubber is close to Super corsa's
4. Good wet condition grip
5. WArms up pretty fast
6.Very predictable and adaptable control when entering and exiting corners

Con's
1. Vibrates alot under hard braking (track only )

I switched to Bridgestones R10 for track use now as im doing some intermediate track days still do bit of road riding but very limited .
I would go back to Rosso Corsa's after this as they saves alot of money and i love leisure riding.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have run Metzler m-1, Pilot Powers, Qualifiers, Bt-016, Bt-003, and Q2's on the street over the last 8 years. All were decent, but the 003 and Q2 were head and shoulders above in grip. Between the two, Q2's steer noticeably better with my setup and were THE LEAST EXPENSIVE SET OF ALL. If you are like me, the last part is not a minor detail. I have now run several Q2 sets on the street and on the track where I find them absolutely amazing. I personally believe, at this time, there is no better tire you can buy for the money. If you have unlimited financial flexibility, I hear some Pirellis are as good, (maybe even supercorsa "street" or Power One "street" slightly better) but they are nearly twice the price! That's my humble opinion.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price is a big deal for me as well. I can get the Q2's for $50 cheaper and I am leaning towards them at this time. I have heard nothing but great things about them. Would like to hear more opinions.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I like my Q2's. One thing about tires: they're all pretty similar (in my experience) and if you don't like them they'll be gone soon enough.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I feel a lot more confident on the Q2's I'm on my second set I got 2 seasons out my first!! About 8k miles all street! Now just waiting for a sale too grab some!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm surprised to see the Dunlop Sportsmart is available in the USA yet... :/ Very odd...

Just found out this is a Europe only tyre... Damn! it's a shame, with their NTEC(Stiff carcass) you can run these a super low pressures on the track, giving phenomenal grip.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm on the Pirelli DRCs and would recommend them for fast off-track riding (I haven't used them on a track to comment). The corner grip in prime conditions is superb and you can happily push to the road riding limits on them with confidence. The mileage so far is looking like value for money also.

If you really do want a high mileage sporty tyre for all weather then try P. Angels. I ran them on my last bike in ALL weather, and never felt like they were struggling for grip. Considering the two discussed tyres do faulter slightly under wet conditions, for the level of grip I recieved from the Angels in all conditions I could highly recommend them. I will most likely go back to them on my next change.

Pirelli for the win.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to try the Q2's. Going tomorrow to get them installed. I had a buddy of mine recommend the Diablo Rosso II's. Any input on these tires?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably showing my age here but the last time I ran Dunlops was in the late 80's. Dont know if anyone remembers but I ran the K591 Elite SP's (race compound).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have ridden both and they are very good tyres. I would rate the DRC higher since they build heat faster and gives a better feel. I would recomend you to step up to the the supercorsa sp for even better feel if you can muster it wears out faster than the others. The sportsmart is q2 in the states same tyre i believe. / Hobbe

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to try the Q2's. Going tomorrow to get them installed. I had a buddy of mine recommend the Diablo Rosso II's. Any input on these tires?
If you do get the Q2's I would love to know what you think about them vs the Pirelli's. I love my Q2's but never ran Pirelli's and I've been riding for years would love to know how they compare

·
Registered
550 Posts
Probably showing my age here but the last time I ran Dunlops was in the late 80's. Dont know if anyone remembers but I ran the K591 Elite SP's (race compound).
You've got me showing my age; hell, my 89 ZX-10 came stock with Dunlop K455s. Some of these tires threads kill me because quite a few people have no idea what truly crappy tires are....:lol:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts