Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By any chance does anyone know's the operating temperature of the 10R. I live in the tropics in Singapore and my average temp is about 80 to 90 Deg Celcius. In stop go traffic it can go as high up as 100 Deg C.

The reason I'm asking is that, I'm thinking of getting rid of the thermostat. Appreciate all of your comments.

Sincerely,

David Isaac

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of the thermostat.
I put a half bottle of Water Wetter in my radiator. The temp doesn't climb as fast now.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
to remove the thermostat completely would not let the motor run at utmost operating temperature.....the motor need to heat up in order for certain components to go into closed loop or such....

·
Registered
314 Posts
David Isaac said:
By any chance does anyone know's the operating temperature of the 10R. I live in the tropics in Singapore and my average temp is about 80 to 90 Deg Celcius. In stop go traffic it can go as high up as 100 Deg C.
david - similar concerns / operating temps in hong kong, especially in traffic, although now the weather has cooooled downa bit, it is not as bad asduring July / August. I am still amazed how quickly the bike goes from 80 to 100 C once I hit traffic. Must try some of that water wetter

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Andy said:
I wouldn't get rid of the thermostat.
I put a half bottle of Water Wetter in my radiator. The temp doesn't climb as fast now.
I tried a 1/2 bottle of milk but no help other than foaming.:heyyou:

BD

·
Registered
764 Posts
Also you don't want to remove the thermostat because the cooling system does need a certain amount of restriction to adequately allow proper thermodynamic heat transfer between the engine components and the coolant. If the coolant were to flow all the time, you won't get proper transfer of heat from the engine and will develop hot spots in certain areas of the engine; which for aluminum can be very bad. Tricks that some modders do on cars is to use a lower temp thermostat. It allows the coolant to run cooler but not so that there is fast continuous flow of coolant.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I live in Singapore too and I think heat is one of the 10R's main weak points over here. Thanks to the high compression (12.7:1) engine we have, temperature increment is an absolute horror in this hot and humid climate.

It's not just us though, the local 04 R1s also suffer from the same problem. (They are on 12.4:1 compression) I have Muzzy's aluminium fan and water wetter installed but that still doesn't really help much as temps will still continue to climb towards 108 degrees in hot and slow traffic.

I've been trying to source for a larger capacity race radiator much like what the CBR1000RR uses for the 10R in hopes of solving this heat problem. Does anyone have a clue as to where I might get one?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Put in some engine ice and your temps will go down 5 to 10 degs cel. My friend is using it in his CBR1000rr and his temps actually dropped almost 18 degs far. He checked it a low speeds and while stopped idling.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I use deg F, not C, but 108C= 226F. I've seen my bike around 104-106C in the summer at lights(ambient was about 41C) but as soon as I'm moving again she comes down to 82-88C.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Also, if you're going to use Water Wetter, it's most effective to use only water and Water Wetter, as opposed to water, coolant and water wetter. But, if you go that route, keep an eye on the temps. Water Wetter doesn't raise the boiling point of water, so if your temps run over 102-103 with just water+Water Wetter, I'd recommend switching to Engine Ice, or maybe 30% antifreeze/ 70% water and water wetter to raise the boiling point a little.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I do not think I am having the severe problems some of you are having (around 200-204 F) however I installed a manual fan switch and just turn it on before I think it may start to climb. just my 2 cents

·
Banned
125 Posts
For you guys using or are about to use Water Wetter , you have to use pure water along with the Water Wetter ONLY . Water Wetter does not work with any engine coolant/anti freeze . So don't think you are doing anything good when you pour in Water Wetter with your factory engine coolant .

Hope you are not using pure water and Water Wetter on the street . In a few months your engine block will get married to Ms. CORROSION . That crap spreads like cancer inside your engine .

·
Registered
37 Posts
tberd said:
For you guys using or are about to use Water Wetter , you have to use pure water along with the Water Wetter ONLY . Water Wetter does not work with any engine coolant/anti freeze . So don't think you are doing anything good when you pour in Water Wetter with your factory engine coolant .

Hope you are not using pure water and Water Wetter on the street . In a few months your engine block will get married to Ms. CORROSION . That crap spreads like cancer inside your engine .
Umm... What PERSONAL experience do you have regarding this corrosion you speak of? I've been using distilled water and water wetter in my 99 R6 for 5 years and 26,000 miles (about 75% of this has been track days and racing). I've had NO problems and the bike runs like NEW. Note: I am in a warm climate where freezing is not an issue.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Distilled water would certainly be the better choice in order to avoid Ms CORRISION. :wave:

BD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Water wetter does increase the cooling efficency of a anti-freeze/water mix, just not as much as straight water and water wetter. For this discussion, Maximum Thermal transfer occurs between water/water wetter. Minimum thermal transfer occurs between water/anti-freeze. Water/water wetter/anti-freeze is a compromise of the two to prevent freezing/boiling of the solution in the cooling system.
As far as 'pure' water 'on the street', L8-Apex has the pudding into which you can look for the proof. 2 atoms of Hydrogen bonded to one Oxygen atom, in solution with water wetter won't corrode anything. Tap(sink or hose) water will.

·
Registered
345 Posts
All this talk about wetter / anti freeze has me nostalgic for being in a place where we don't need anti-freeze because it just doesn't freeze. I wish I *could* have the problem of deciding to run distilled / wetter or coolant mix :sad:

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
What is considered the normal operating temperature range for the 10. I rode i this morning. 25-30F ambient, the bike was running about 138F with medium traffic running between 60-90 mph. That seems like it's barely warmed up.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I usually don't ride if it's under 60f. But when I do it runs around 145f on the freeway.
In the summer it stays in the 180's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts