Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just got a 2005 ZX10R with only one black key, does anyone know how to get a working spare when i don't have the red one to program a new key. :(

Another thought i had was can i get a key blank that will turn the ignition barrel, with the original programmed key close by will it start ? How close does the transponder have to be ?

Thanx

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
wow i didnt even know they had to be programmed..... guess u leasrn something new everyday

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
yeah that topic was covered last week, do a search and the answer will be yours

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
In the US the keys aren't programmed. A dealer should be able to order you an exact key blank. Possibly even program and cut it exactly (depends on the dealer and the bike).

·
Registered
471 Posts
buy blanks at dealer, have cut at locksmith off original if the dealer cant cut it. I now have 3 keys, hidden in strategic places.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting a key cut is not an issue, starting the bike is though.

UK models have immobiliser built into the key and the bike will not start if the chip in the key is not recognised by the ecu. I have no red master key so therefor i cannot programme any new keys to the ecu.

So my question is how close does a programmed chip need to be to the ignition barrel ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
i took my key into a local locksmith and they cut me a spare key, it works just fine in the gas cap and trunk lock, but wont turn the ignition. any ideas why?

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
He's is not in the US obviously guys, read the post. Check with the guys on the ZX10R.co.uk they will be able to help you more than most on here we are 95% USA owners. Some of these guys probably are not even aware of the imobilizer on the Euro models.

But IMHO, the dealer is gonna be the only place to get you a new key.

·
Registered
600 Posts
He's is not in the US obviously guys, read the post. Check with the guys on the ZX10R.co.uk they will be able to help you more than most on here we are 95% USA owners. Some of these guys probably are not even aware of the imobilizer on the Euro models.

i am in the US, so i thought that if the locksmith had a blank and could cut it, it would work in everything.

it works perfectly in the gas cap and trunk lock, will not turn the ignition at all.

not just not start.

maybe just a bad cut??

·
Team Green Baby!
2014 MV Agusta F3 675
1,519 Posts
i am in the US, so i thought that if the locksmith had a blank and could cut it, it would work in everything.

it works perfectly in the gas cap and trunk lock, will not turn the ignition at all.

not just not start.

maybe just a bad cut??
Is it a genuine key from Kawasaki? If not, then that could be it. I think the thickness of the key will make a difference and that may be why it's not turning. Assuming you used a generic key.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i took my key into a local locksmith and they cut me a spare key, it works just fine in the gas cap and trunk lock, but wont turn the ignition. any ideas why?
I had the same thing done and It took several tries but after much grinding and polishing and reties to get it right, it will start the bike and it wasn't even a kawi blank, so I can assure you that an 06 doesn't need any special key, just a perfect replica of the original.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts

:+1:
HAHA People dont even read the posts just see "need a key" and oh well all ya need is a blank cut........:crackup: people :lol::headshake

1 - 20 of 27 Posts