Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea why my 550 mile old, moderately broken in 05 zx10 is ticking or almost clanking at idle after warmup. The sound comes in waves a few ticks at a time and then goes away every couple of seconds. It only does it when the bike is around 170 degrees and it really sounds like a hollow metal clank, not a tick but for sure annoying!! Do these things need valve adjusting or maybe the headers tightened this soon? I havent been in yet for the first service, but when I do they are going to fix this crap then. Any ideas for me now?

Brian

·
Registered
959 Posts
maybe someone messed up your bike when they were getting it ready for you... I'd take it back and ask them to check it out... I have almost 1000 and no problems...

·
Registered
370 Posts
search for "noises"

there are many threads on the subject. needless to say, Kawasaki has NEVER made a bike that ran quietly.....

·
Registered
956 Posts
unless the bike is running like crap, i wouldnt worry about it too much. this particular motorcycle has got to be the most noisy sum bitch on the planet!! But man it sure is fun to ride!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
516 Posts
ZXMustang said:
Anyone have any idea why my 550 mile old, moderately broken in 05 zx10 is ticking or almost clanking at idle after warmup. The sound comes in waves a few ticks at a time and then goes away every couple of seconds. It only does it when the bike is around 170 degrees and it really sounds like a hollow metal clank, not a tick but for sure annoying!! Do these things need valve adjusting or maybe the headers tightened this soon? I havent been in yet for the first service, but when I do they are going to fix this crap then. Any ideas for me now?

Brian
Drive it up to your dealer and have a mech. take a quick listen. They know how the bike is supposed to sound.

Mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else have any ideas on my issue>? The asshoole at the dealer couldnt even hear the noise I was talking about....like usual.

BRIAN

·
Registered
370 Posts
If they say they didn't hear anything, they aren't communicating well. What they probably meant, was that they didn't hear anything (out of the ordinary).

I thought my bike was ticking awfully badly. Thought the valves might be out or something. Turns out its just normal. She's a noisy beast. Takes a little getting used to.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
is there enough oil in that thing?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. it did the noises with the factory oil, and after I changed the oil. It only happens when the bike is not quite warm. Like when you warm it up and start your ride. After is gets fully warm though it sounds fine. I really hear it when I stop riding it for an hour or so than go back out. Thats when its at about 150-170 degrees..?? I was told it could be the cam timing too? or the valves...? Its going to the dealer at the end of the season for a real checkup and they can look at it then. Until then I just love this bike. I solved my weak bottom end with a 16t front sprocket and it still feels the same on the top end.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Tighten the header bolts takes lees time than writeing this whole thread and It should go away. the header bolts are always backing off new pipes and stock ones. screw the stealership you know there just going to yank you around. so go to the garage remove both mib fairings and tighten them bolts. I'd be willing to bet your going to find 1 or 2 loose. Sounds like a vaulve tapping doesnt it.... tighten them nuts.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, if thats it I will be happy as hell. Thats why I posted this thread because I was hoping someone had encountered this before and could give me a few things to check. Thanks alot!

Brian

·
Registered
840 Posts
From what you described I think those guys are right. My bike ticks while it's cooling down too. Exhaust noises most likely, my header bolts were loose on my Yosh when I replaced it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, it WAS the header bolts. I removed all the side plastics and was able to get into there with a socket and a regular wrench. It was a real pain in the ass but it did fix the problem. Thanks again and man do I love this bike.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
ZXMustang said:
Thanks all, it WAS the header bolts. I removed all the side plastics and was able to get into there with a socket and a regular wrench. It was a real pain in the ass but it did fix the problem. Thanks again and man do I love this bike.
Word!

Thats what we here for...

And to HO it up some too!

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
werd....there's a few of us ho's here

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll retighten the headers when all the cuts and gashes on my hands heal. Its like when I build a computer, I zip tie all the various wires and cables in the case and cut the ends off at a short angle so they are like thorns. The next guy that has to stick his hand in that case will be bleedin. Thanks again guys!! By the way, did I say I LOVE this bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts