Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so some of you may know that my father is dying of cancer. as sad as this is it was his choice to drink and smoke his intire life so it comes as no surprise to my family. i had a chance to visit him about 2 months ago when we found out , i got on a plain and flew out to see him.
when i was out there we had a chance to go for one last ride. my dad rides a old indian and a friend was willing to let me borrow one of his bikes. well unfortunatly we did not go on a ride due to my wife not wanting to be left alone with the kids on a island that she didnt know. this is just kind of a reminder to everyone if you have a chance to go for one more ride take it at all cost. take the fucking ride..

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad.......i completely understand what you're saying AND where you're coming from. the "ride" doesn't always have to be an actual cruise on a bike i don't think.....just be sure to try and stay close to those you love and care about...thru the good and bad cause once they're gone, it's too damn like for the "i wish i woulds's and i should have's" i have learned that shit the hard way and it sucks!!!!

·
Chairman of the Board
16,003 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad passed with cancer several years back and I still miss him every day. He was my mentor, my best friend, my hero and so many other things. Do as much as you can with him no matter what it is. The memories that my Dad made with me are priceless. Doesnt matter if we were tinkering on a car or chilling on the back porch. Each one is special.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dad, it is very hard losing parents ... my dad taught me to ride and I miss him terribly,

we rode a lot when he was alive....

Jules

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
so some of you may know that my father is dying of cancer. as sad as this is it was his choice to drink and smoke his intire life so it comes as no surprise to my family. i had a chance to visit him about 2 months ago when we found out , i got on a plain and flew out to see him.
when i was out there we had a chance to go for one last ride. my dad rides a old indian and a friend was willing to let me borrow one of his bikes. well unfortunatly we did not go on a ride due to my wife not wanting to be left alone with the kids on a island that she didnt know. this is just kind of a reminder to everyone if you have a chance to go for one more ride take it at all cost. take the fucking ride..
Bro, sorry for your loss.
I feel ya on wanting to take that last ride with your dad.
And I'm really sorry for you that you didn't get to do that.
Personally I feel the wife should have let you go, because that is something that you would remember for the rest of your day's.
I don't want to talk ill of her but that would bother me and I'm not sure how I would handle it. It's good that you are passing this advice on to others.
Good luck to you and my condolences.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Sorry to hear...Unfortunately for me my Dad never rode a bike I had to learn on my own....I think the only thing we got in common is horse gambling.....but think I will give my Dad a Call tomorrow to see how he is doing we live about 400miles apart. :thumbsup: so thanks for the reminder to get my priorities strait.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sorry to hear about you dad bro...thanks for sharing your experience with us though

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but don't beat yourself up too bad. You were still able to spend time with him regardless if it was on the couch or on the road.

My Dad also rides, but he rides slow so I have only ridden with him twice. Both times it was painful, I'd get wayyyyy ahead then pull over for him to catch up. Now we live about 500 miles apart, not much riding now. He does plan to trailer his bike here sometime though to ride (he's retired now). Moral of my story there, you just convinced me to really make a conscious effort to take it slow and actually ride with him. I hope that day comes soon.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
all these examples are words of good advice.
make the momment count when around your folks.
or any special loved one for that matter,freind,family member or past aquintance.
the time you share now will serve as a reminder for the rest of your time on this precious Earth.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I feel blessed that I still ride with my father. Your story helps give perspective...condolences to you and thanks for sharing.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
KaTooM, your comment was out of line.:headshake:headshake
You need to learn some self control before you let shit like that spew from your mouth.
This man has suffered a serious loss in his life and he doesn't need you bashing his wife like that.

NOT COOL.:dontknow::headshake

I think an apology is in order here. Don't y'all?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
KaTooM, your comment was out of line.:headshake:headshake
You need to learn some self control before you let shit like that spew from your mouth.
This man has suffered a serious loss in his life and he doesn't need you bashing his wife like that.

NOT COOL.:dontknow::headshake

I think an apology is in order here. Don't y'all?
I am very sorry. I was drunk posting and I know that is not a valid excuse. I hope you got to go on your last ride op.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I lost my Dad a little over a year ago so the greif is still close, but I have great memories of our time together and that eases the pain.I hope you have the same,sorry for your loss

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I can relate my brotha!.........I just moved 650 miles and gave up riding in twistyland to be close to my Pop in the time remaining!...He has COPD ( short for Emphezyma)...it is aprogressive disease and will take him out sooner rather than later. He is slowly declining as of recently and I wanted to be close to him and the Family for we are unfortunately guessing he has maybe another 6mos to a year left....maybe more if we are blessed!
I am def sorry to hear about YOUR dad also.........Cancer is IMO....one of the worst ways to lose a loved one!......My prayers go out to ya man!........I do however agree with some that say your wife should have let you go on the ride!....(but not in such a coarse way of saying it).She has to realize that this is very important to you and Your Dad!....IDK........I am not married so I just picked up,quit my job and loaded some trucks and made the move to be with my Dad!........no woman would have stopped me anyway....but that is just me!......Hopefully you found some other way to spend some quality time and make peace with him and tell him things you always wanted to say!......you dont get a second chance at these kinda things after they are gone ya know?........
Anyway.........I feel your pain friend........and I am walking in your shoes a lil.........so the pm line is always open..........take care.....Russ

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
My dad died of lung cancer in 1980. Pretty awful way for a child to have to experience the gradual loss of a parent. But in my dads case, he never smoked. Started feeling bad one day, 6 months later he was dead. So, can't always blame the cancer sticks. Before he died my dad told me many things he wished he had done. One was to buy him a motorcycle, a Gold Wing. 3 months after he died I bought a 1980 CX500 Honda, my first bike, and have never looked back.

Sorry you didnt get to make that ride. Before my dad mentioned to me about wishing he had bought a Gold Wing, I had never even thought about wanting to ride.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts