Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came around the corner yesterday (9-17-06) to this, rescue crews hadn't arrived yet...

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/09/18/news/inland/91706202120.txt

"By: North County Times -

PALOMAR MOUNTAIN ---- A Marine was killed and a woman was seriously injured in an accident involving two motorcycles on Palomar Mountain on Sunday, authorities said.

Jonathan Balkowitsch, 30, died onscene, while Sally Mata, 59, of Palomar Mountain, was transported to Palomar Medical Center with head injuries, the California Highway Patrol reported.

The accident was reported just before 11:40 a.m. on South Grade Road, just south of East Grade Road.

Balkowitsch was traveling downhill at an unknown speed from East Grade and incorrectly negotiated a right-hand curve, causing him to lock his brakes and skid across the road into a guard rail, CHP reported.

He then veered into the path of Mata's motorcycle, which was headed in the opposite direction, CHP Sgt. Tom Greenstone said.

In an attempt to avoid Balkowitsch, Mata lost control of her motorcycle and went down, though it does not appear the two vehicles collided, CHP said.

South Grade Road at East Grade was also shut down around noon, with traffic diverted to East Grade, CHP reported"

I see lots of motorcyclist with none life-threatening injuries, broken bones and punchers but this one was a little over the top. One thing is seeing it on "Live to ride-ride to die' another is seeing it first hand. Reality check!
:helmet:

http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
very sad indeed and some of the comments under the story within the link are very troubling as well. RIP to the young man and I hope the woman recovers fully.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
RIP and Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That's very bad news...I was going to go riding up @ Palomar on Sunday too. My prayers go out to the deceased and his family and I hope the woman recovers quickly. The other thing that's bad is the 5-0 will surely be increasing their presence there within the next few weeks as is the case with any accident like this...I may have to lay low from Palomar for a few weeks :sad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts