Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a dumb question, but I have never messed with draining or filling the coolant on any of my bikes in the past. I need to drain the water wetter from my bike and replace with antifreeze/water mixture.

First off, is the mixture a simple 50/50? And secondly, do I need to take off the upper fairing to get access to fill the radiator?

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could make the mixture whatever you need to withstand whatever temp your bike will be made to endure. They make those little bulb "thingys" that test your antifreeze, and tell what temp it is good to. 50 / 50 is more than enough I am sure.

One way you could drain is pull your lower off and drain the radiator by pulling off the hose that goes to the bottom of the water pump. You should be able to get to the radiator cap w/o removing the upper fairings, but you will need a piece of tygon (or similar flexible tubing) to pour your new mixture into the radiator.

The way I have always done mine is drain as I mentioned before, then put the garden hose into the radiator opening and turn it on, and remove the return hose and have that just got to a bucket or if just flushing the water, just out into the street to go down the sewer drain as it shouldn't have anything that will harm the environment.
I flush for a while making sure it is all just water in the engine now, and nice and clean. Then add my mixture of water / antifreeze and run the bike for another 5 minutes or so to make sure the fluids get mixed up well, that usually does the trick pretty well.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use the hose. I know Kwakman is just using it for flushing, but you shouldn't introduce tap water to the cooling system. Tap water has minerals in it that will leave deposits in the head an radiator. Ever see that crusty stuff on the inside of your old car's radiator? those are mineral deposits. Do that to a motorcycle with its smaller coolant passages and you run the risk of blocking some of them eventually. If you have distilled water and water Wetter in the cooling system now, there's no need to 'flush' it. Water Wetter s compatable with anti freeze. Pull the lower left fairing and remove the drain bolt on the bottom of the water pump. Drain out about 1 quart(32oz.) of water. Replace the drained water with straight, not diluted, antifreeze and run the bike for a while to mix it up. The cooling system holda about 2.5 quarts, so removing 1Q. and replacing it will get you pretty close to 50/50.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You get that crusty stuff because of the iron, ours are aluminum and shouldn't get that, but if you didn't want to flush completely, yours is the way to go.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Use destilled water and engine coolant ONLY . No garder hose water or tap water . All the minerals will cause massive engine corrosion .

When refilling the radiator be sure to leave the radiator cap off and let all the air bubbles out of the cooling system . Let the engine warm up fully so the thermostat opens and the coolant circulates . That is what I call burping the cooling system . After all the bubbles are out , replace the radiator cap . Wash the bike so no coolant is on your TIRES .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts