Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Ok, sprocket question?

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Arch Enemy 
#1 ·
Ok, I know majority of the people on the site goes 1 down on the front sprocket. Then some do 1 down then 2 or 3 up in the rear. So my question is..........

Could I do -2 in the front (15t) so it would be basically be like doing -1 front, +3 rear. Since the theory is going -1 is like going 3 up in the rear. Pro's and con's? Idea's and thoughts?

Thanks.
jb

#2 · (Edited)
I'm running a 15tooth right now, bike tops out at 168mph but its a freaking beast tell then, wheel doesnt touch the ground tell 4th gear if I'm on it full throtle. So you know when dropping one tooth in the front its equal to about 2.8-3 teeth, when dropping 2 in the front its 5-5.5 so you will notice a fast difference between a 16t and 15t, if you do this I would say go back to the stock rear sprocket, dont pick up any more teeth ect in the rear, or you will be topping out around 165mph and doing a wheelie the hole time, in less its stretch and lowered

#4 ·
Its the same, only thing if you just change your front sprocket and not the other/chain too, its going to wear down a little faster then normal, but yeah just drop -2 up front and your good, theres no need to change the rear in less your really taking it out to the strip or something with -2 up front

#7 ·
A little faster meaning? I know what it means, but like, what is the normal milage out of the chain with -1 front in comparison of -2? So let's say with -1 you get 8k miles, then with -2 you get 7k miles.

Anyone have any hard numbers?

#8 ·
I only have 1000 miles so far at this setup 15/41 and I cant even tell the differnce in the wear yet, but with my 08 honda geared low like this, my chain lasted 12000 miles so. Its all about are you lubbing your chain and ect. But with this you will def. need a speedo healer bad if you dont already.

#10 · (Edited)
on my gps unit with my gearing at 15/42 its 168mph hitting the limiter in 6th, now with my stock rear back on yesterday morning after putting it on I pulled 174. something on my gps. My bike stock gearing with all the mods I have tops out at 187mph on gps, trust me gearing your bike down yes it will get you there a lot faster but kills your top end in the end. 15/42 is great for the strip.

#12 ·
mods= Custom made headers into a level one slip on, tre, secondarys gone,air filter,sprocket changed,pcV, speedohealer, a couple cosmetic things like windscreen, solo cowl ect. I only weigh 145 pounds right now, I'm a runner so do the math. But naw when I run my strip gearing basically which for me I run the 15/42 and strapped I just let it ride full throtle, The wheel basically (1st)comes up touchs down, (2nd)comes up touchs down, comes up just enough for the bars to shake a little, then by 4th its just a little light up front. Heck I did a +2/-1 and pulled 192-194mph on my gps haha. The last time I ran my bike on a dyno for its tune with all the stuff done this far it hit 169hp which before I removed the secondary I only pulled a 167hp. Its a fast bike man, my 08 honda only had 158 to the wheel which compared to this bike sucks

but my 09 zx10r is far from being done...more to come, I want 180hp+ on this bike

#13 ·
Decisions decisions, I almost closed a deal on a 04 for 5100 and I was planning on putting -2 in the front, so I go searching around and see an 08 with 1300 miles that's 200 miles away from me for 1k more...what to do what to do?

#14 · (Edited)
are you kidding me I'd go with the 08, it will hold its value longer just in the sense that the 04 is already 5 years old. I know at a point a bike cant lose anymore value but with that 04 its only going to go down, at least the 08 will be ahead in the race if you ever want to sell it. Regardless I know the 04 is a beast but I have beat a couple first gens, seoncd gens, and even 2 3rd gens, one being a super close friend of mine. He hates it cause he can never beat me and he has a left over 08 blue and I have the 09 meaning there the same. He just cant launch all that well lol. What are you trying to make a bike just for the strip or something?

If you dont own a 3rd gen zx10r you will totally be blown away with the bike.

#18 · (Edited)
I truthfully cant explain in detail to why its better for the first reason I have never owned one, I have riden a couple my close friend just got a left over 08 blue model and traded in his 04, all he goes on about is about how well it handles and how the power delivery is so much smoother along with the bike feels a lot more planted or stable. Its like comparing a ferri to a lamborghini they both are great but different. I will say that are gauges are so much nicer then the first gens...His wheel did tend to come up a lot more with his 04 though...its not above and behond in any sense, its just a lot more refined in the sense

#19 ·
I'm running -2, stock rear. With the bike lowered and strapped it still wants to come up at the end of 1st & gets lite through 2nd. As far as chain wear/bind, I think it's only when you get down to a 14t that it get's hard on stuff ie; countershaft, chain, sprockets.

#21 ·
As far as chain wear/bind, I think it's only when you get down to a 14t that it get's hard on stuff ie; countershaft, chain, sprockets.
Correct, many 600's come factory with 15 tooth countersprockets. The increased wear starts to increase significantly at 14 and smaller.

Im running an RK GXW 520 chain (rated for 1000cc) and Driven sprockets, 15/44 which is -2 +2 from stock. It only had to be adjusted one time after the first 100 miles or so. Its been rock solid ever since. I have over 12k miles on it and it is still in excellent condition except some minor surface corrosion on some of the plates from riding in the rain.

I clean and lube at least once a week or every 500 miles, take care of you gear and it will take care of you.

As far as riding with -2 +2, top speed runs are fun but riding 2 lane mountain roads with blinding acceleration and neverending power wheelies wins every time IMO. :crackup:

#20 ·
So, If I wanted to add just abit more power...and mind you, I'm not looking to wheelie all day, nor do I go to the track (yet). But, If I just wanted the "next Step" Up from stock to have an edge on the others...what would that be as far as the changing of sprockets? Would it be just a 16T in the front, a 520 conv?

Also, when you do any of these sprocket changes, do you need he bike re-tuned or mapped?

Thanks!

Liam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.