Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of seeing threads of fallen riders, near misses and accidents of motorcycles. I have stationed in Upstate NY for the past year and probably nearly been hit every time I've been out riding. So far I have lost 6 friends and one is still in ICU from his accident. All 6 weren't at fault, but the one in ICU was at fault, but that's besides the point.

So I think I might just give up street riding and keep 1 bike just to do track days and 1 bike for drag.

:sighs: Sorry, I normally don't bitch/rant or complain but it's coming to that point you know?

Any tips for me before I go out on a road course and act a fool?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I am tired of seeing threads of fallen riders, near misses and accidents of motorcycles. I have stationed in Upstate NY for the past year and probably nearly been hit every time I've been out riding. So far I have lost 6 friends and one is still in ICU from his accident. All 6 weren't at fault, but the one in ICU was at fault, but that's besides the point.

So I think I might just give up street riding and keep 1 bike just to do track days and 1 bike for drag.

:sighs: Sorry, I normally don't bitch/rant or complain but it's coming to that point you know?

Can't say I blame ya blaze. Good luck on the track.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
I feel ya man, but on a different level. I've done like 12 trackdays and everytime I take the 10 out on the street, I wanna go apeshit and ride the piss out of it. I tell myself I'm gonna chill but I always end up doing wheelies and hauling ass when no one is looking. . . :helmet:
As much as I want to go all track, I enjoy riding with my friends too much at the moment.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You wouldn't be the first to swear off street riding. Most of the guys I go to the track with don't own street legal bikes anymore.

Myself, the 10R has become a track only bike. I still have my old Honda Pacific coast I cruise around town and commute on. After the track, riding fast on the street sort of lost it's fun. No need for 150 hp just to go to work.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
MOVE!! :lol:...Trackday is where the fun is at like others have stated..I have major fun and good pucker up moments at the track but I still enjoy the street too...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I took insurance off my 10R and sold all my street bodywork!

Where in upstate NY are you? How far from Shannonville, ON?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,-75.234375&spn=3.586842,7.064209&z=7&iwloc=A

That's where i do most of my track stuff. Have you ever been to a trackday before as a spectator? It's probably not a bad idea just to come check one out so you get an idea for how they work. One less thing to figure out for when you show up with the bike!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I feel ya man, but on a different level. I've done like 12 trackdays and everytime I take the 10 out on the street, I wanna go apeshit and ride the piss out of it. I tell myself I'm gonna chill but I always end up doing wheelies and hauling ass when no one is looking. . . :helmet:
As much as I want to go all track, I enjoy riding with my friends too much at the moment.
i feel the exact same way bro

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took insurance off my 10R and sold all my street bodywork!

Where in upstate NY are you? How far from Shannonville, ON?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,-75.234375&spn=3.586842,7.064209&z=7&iwloc=A

That's where i do most of my track stuff. Have you ever been to a trackday before as a spectator? It's probably not a bad idea just to come check one out so you get an idea for how they work. One less thing to figure out for when you show up with the bike!
Directly across the Bay from you in Rochester NY! I was thinking that once I ETS out of the Army Ill be moving back home to Jacksonville FL and I'm sure there are tons of op to get on the track.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Directly across the Bay from you in Rochester NY! I was thinking that once I ETS out of the Army Ill be moving back home to Jacksonville FL and I'm sure there are tons of op to get on the track.
You're only 2 1/2 hours from Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga, ON. It's an easy drive from there.

I'll be there Oct 10th and 11th. It's not a bad little track.

torontomotorsportspark.com

You're about 5 hours from Shannonville.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts

Don't let the misfortune of others dictate how you live your life. People get killed all the time in many different ways unrelated to sportbikes, or just plain drop dead.

Live life for today, as tomorrow may in fact not come. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

come drag race w me if your in upstate ny, what track do you go to

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
come drag race w me if your in upstate ny, what track do you go to
New York International Raceway Park in Leicster NY. It's close to Rochester NY on 390.

·
Registered
454 Posts

I know the feeling. I am at the point where I am about to be selling my 10 ( most likely parting it out actually) picking up a car and in a few years when I have school finished and setteled into a career trying to get back into the bikes as a track only deal.

I have a hard time staying out of trouble on the streets and it just seems like they are getting tougher and tougher on us.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
One of the deciding factors for me to get rid of my bike and get into the sprint car thing was the fact that my two boys 9 and 11 who would come to the track with me all the time started to talk about how they wanted to get into motorcycle dragracing. And it wasnt so much the dragracing part as much as the fact that I know that once they turned 18 and they didnt have to listen to me anymore then they would be out on the street on a motorcycle. that right there was the main reason for me to sell out of the bikes, i ride very civilized on the street and I have had some close calls because people are asses out there. most 18 year olds dont have enough common sense in the first place to ride let alone the other drivers out there. I think your making a good choice, its not worth the risk anymore. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
One of the deciding factors for me to get rid of my bike and get into the sprint car thing was the fact that my two boys 9 and 11 who would come to the track with me all the time started to talk about how they wanted to get into motorcycle dragracing. And it wasnt so much the dragracing part as much as the fact that I know that once they turned 18 and they didnt have to listen to me anymore then they would be out on the street on a motorcycle. that right there was the main reason for me to sell out of the bikes, i ride very civilized on the street and I have had some close calls because people are asses out there. most 18 year olds dont have enough common sense in the first place to ride let alone the other drivers out there. I think your making a good choice, its not worth the risk anymore. :thumbsup:
I can agree with you there, been riding as my main source of transportation sense 18, and while i started on a little 500 and worked my way up. most of the people I road with around my age where just asking for trouble and a decent amount got it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Respect

·
Registered
7 Posts
track the 10 and get a supermoto. you'll have more fun at slower speeds and you'll end up riding in places where cars don't travel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts