Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I weighed the Marchesini wheels and here are the results.

The rear wheel was weighed stripped of all anciliary parts. No rear rotor, no cush drive / sprocket carrier.

Rear Wheel weighed 10.2 lbs (that is 10.2 pounds, not 10 pounds 2 ounces)

The front wheel was weighed without spacers but those spacers weigh very little.

Front Wheel weighed 7.2 lbs.

You hear a lot about how removing weight from the outer portion of the rim improves performance, but I am some what skeptical of that because I weighed the Michelin PP 2CTs which of course mount even further out from the center of the rim and was surprised at how much the tires actually weigh.

The FRONT Michelin tire weighed 9.0 lbs, which is more than the fracking Marchesini rim itself.

The REAR Michelin tire weighed 13.8 lbs, again more than the Rear Marchesini rim itself.

So all the weight reduction on the rim doesnt appear to me to be that significant when these heavy @ss tires are mounted on them.

The tire manufacterers need to figure out how to build some lighter tires. If they could do that then I would suspect signifcant inprovement could be gained there.

I never even considered that the tires would be heavier than the entire wheels and all that weight is out where you least want it.

I have NO idea what the stock rims weigh as I have not had the opportunity to weigh them without a tire installed.

I will be updating this thread later with additional info and pix.

JJ

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Heres a weight chart of different rims Ive weighed.... the durrani's are just what they said they weighed but we all know how that went....

stock 10r rear rim weighed 14lbs 1.6 oz's
stock 10r front rim weighed 9lbs 2.2 oz's

so the savings would be if our scales were close enough the rear would shave 4 lbs and the front would shave 2 lbs...... seems a lil to much weight to be dropping for just aluminum rims to me but idk, could be possible???

***EDIT*** I'm wondering id I had the cush drive on there or something???
man I wish I had the cash to buy these though, how much were ya looking to get for em?

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the latest edition of Superbike Mag out of the UK, Durrani is now again advertising and claiming production to begin in the spring. Here is the weights listed as advertised in that magazine article.

Rear Durrani Magnesium 10.8lbs

Front Durrani Magnesium 6.8lbs

According to this my Marchesini forged aluminum REAR is .6lbs lighter than what is claimed in this article for the Durrani REAR and the Marchesini front wheel is only .4lbs heavier than Durrani. These Marchesini's are pretty good if thats the case.

My scales are very accurate BTW

JJ

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I weighed mine on a postage scale so I think mine was pretty close, so are you selling them or keeping them?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Reducing weight is always a plus. Less rotating mass should equal greater speeds and better maneuverability. A hot topic is to add lightweight rims in place of stock rims. I am wondering; why hasn’t anybody removed the stock steel (heavy) gas tank in place for a lighter fiberglass version? I would think reducing weight at that center of the bike, and at it's highest point in center of gravity, would dramatically affect all aspects of the bike.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I weighed mine on a postage scale so I think mine was pretty close, so are you selling them or keeping them?
I tried selling them before but no takers. Not even a single bite. I haven't decided if I will try again and for what price. Most likely will go the eBay route if I do.

I used digital bathroom scales and weighed them using a "tare" method.

Basically I weighed myself holding the rim, then weighed myself without the rim. The resulting "tare" or difference is what the rims weighed.

I did this several times thorughout the day Saturday and into Saturday night and every single time I got the same tare weight. So its not so much accuracy of the scales that might be in question, but the tare difference. I beleive that to be completely accurate since it never varied a tenth all day long.

The Marchesini's are pretty light.

I think if you found the lightest tires that would make even more difference in performance. Garth, didn't you weigh some tires?

JJ

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yup, the pilot powers were the lightest out there so far but i haven't weighed like some corasa 3's and some pilot races ya know but I'm running a 180 pilot power on my bike.

hey JJ PM me a price you were thinking of, if I can find some 06 forks to swap out Id def be interested, i finally have some money to play with here and there....

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Reducing weight is always a plus. Less rotating mass should equal greater speeds and better maneuverability. A hot topic is to add lightweight rims in place of stock rims. I am wondering; why hasn’t anybody removed the stock steel (heavy) gas tank in place for a lighter fiberglass version? I would think reducing weight at that center of the bike, and at it's highest point in center of gravity, would dramatically affect all aspects of the bike.
one company I know of makes tanks for the 10r, saves 4.6 lbs but costs a bit over 1200 bux :spit:

·
Registered
490 Posts
one company I know of makes tanks for the 10r, saves 4.6 lbs but costs a bit over 1200 bux :spit:

Ive found this Vendor for tanks also..

http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html

Are these weights for the Aluminum wheels?

I need to weigh the bst's and give the real world weights to settle all the questions once and for all..I have marchesini mags and OEM wheels side by side in the garage with tires mounted..I'll weigh all three and get the weights posted.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
fiberglass tanks are a problem for keeping the fuel pump pressure the same no FI bikes. Even the new FI MX bike by suzuki has an aluminum tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Aluminum gas tank weighs 7lbs less but at a cost of $1700-1900 that is alot for a gas tank where the wheels will net a far better gain for performance

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive found this Vendor for tanks also..

http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html

Are these weights for the Aluminum wheels?

I need to weigh the bst's and give the real world weights to settle all the questions once and for all..I have marchesini mags and OEM wheels side by side in the garage with tires mounted..I'll weigh all three and get the weights posted.
Thanks, looking forward to your next post.

JJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Aluminum gas tank weighs 7lbs less but at a cost of $1700-1900 that is alot for a gas tank where the wheels will net a far better gain for performance
THAT ALWAYS TRUE!!!! LOOK ITS REALLY ABOUT HOW YOU RIDE AND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING 4...... IF YOUR LOOKING 4 QUICK EXCEL & QUICK TRUN IN GET THE WHEELS!!! IF YOUR LOOKING TO TAKE WEIGHT OF THE TOP GET THE TANK.... HELL GET THE TANK .... TO HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS GET BOTH...... I THINK FUELCEL.COM SELLS THE TANK FOR 1000-1300 YOU CHOOSE YOUR ADD ONS I.E. FUELCAP, CARBON FIBER SIDES,OR CLEAR SIDES:thumbsup::idea:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
THAT ALWAYS TRUE!!!! LOOK ITS REALLY ABOUT HOW YOU RIDE AND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING 4...... IF YOUR LOOKING 4 QUICK EXCEL & QUICK TRUN IN GET THE WHEELS!!! IF YOUR LOOKING TO TAKE WEIGHT OF THE TOP GET THE TANK.... HELL GET THE TANK .... TO HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS GET BOTH...... I THINK FUELCEL.COM SELLS THE TANK FOR 1000-1300 YOU CHOOSE YOUR ADD ONS I.E. FUELCAP, CARBON FIBER SIDES,OR CLEAR SIDES:thumbsup::idea:
www.fuelcel.com is not the website you are speaking of. Do you know the correct address?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I suspect it would be very difficult to lighten a speed rated tire (technically and legally) like we have on these bikes. On cars, the difference between a V and W or Y rated tire is a few extra bricks worth in weight.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sorry to kick up some settling dust here, but has anyone measured the stock 04-05 front and rear weight? I would be intersted in looking at some Carrozzeria wheels if the savings is significant. Lord knows I'm not going to be losing any body weight anytime soon :)

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
It still has to be beneficial to reduce unsprung weight. Think about the force it takes to spin a tricycle wheel vs. a tractor trailer wheel. The lighter the mass the easier and faster you can spin it, thats got to = performance.....right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts