Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about decided to sell the 636 and get another litre. I can't explain why, but I'm starting to miss the crap out of my 10 and the way a litre rides in general. The 636 is an awesome bike no doubt. It would be easy to convince me that it's probably the best of the 600 class even though I haven't rode any of the others. It's just that I am finding that I prefer a litre for street riding. I would never have seen this coming. I had slowed my pace down a lot and was riding pretty sane before I sold the 10 and thought the nature of the 600 would be perfectly suited to that. And it's not that the 6 doesn't work well for that. It's just that I prefer how the 10 done it. Again, I'm at a loss for words on this. Just can't seem to verbalize what I'm thinking here.

Anyway, it will be one of three bikes... Another '04-'05 10R, an '06 10R, or........ a K5 gixxer. I'm leaning toward waiting for the '06 10 to hit the showroom so I can see how it feels compared to my '04, but I'm also thinking about checking out deals on used current model 10's and gixxers. A deal on a used bike would help offset the hosing I'll take selling the 636 so soon after buying it new, but I always lean toward buying new bikes so I can break them in my way and know their history from day one.

I wish I'd had a way to learn this **before** I got rid of my sweet ass Diablo. Oh well... This won't be my first expensive ass lesson and probably won't be my last. :headshake

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
El Diablo said:
I've just about decided to sell the 636 and get another litre. I can't explain why, but I'm starting to miss the crap out of my 10 and the way a litre rides in general. The 636 is an awesome bike no doubt. It would be easy to convince me that it's probably the best of the 600 class even though I haven't rode any of the others. It's just that I am finding that I prefer a litre for street riding. I would never have seen this coming. I had slowed my pace down a lot and was riding pretty sane before I sold the 10 and thought the nature of the 600 would be perfectly suited to that. And it's not that the 6 doesn't work well for that. It's just that I prefer how the 10 done it. Again, I'm at a loss for words on this. Just can't seem to verbalize what I'm thinking here.

Anyway, it will be one of three bikes... Another '04-'05 10R, an '06 10R, or........ a K5 gixxer. I'm leaning toward waiting for the '06 10 to hit the showroom so I can see how it feels compared to my '04, but I'm also thinking about checking out deals on used current model 10's and gixxers. A deal on a used bike would help offset the hosing I'll take selling the 636 so soon after buying it new, but I always lean toward buying new bikes so I can break them in my way and know their history from day one.

I wish I'd had a way to learn this **before** I got rid of my sweet ass Diablo. Oh well... This won't be my first expensive ass lesson and probably won't be my last. :headshake
no good life lesson is cheap. hope ya find what your after i would miss the litre bike now that i've gotten some good seat time on it no way could i go back down, good hunting El D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
treyzx10r said:
no good life lesson is cheap. hope ya find what your after i would miss the litre bike now that i've gotten some good seat time on it no way could i go back down, good hunting El D :thumbsup:

Yeah, you're right. If I had all my le$$on money back I'd have a nice chunk of change, but I wouldn't swap the experiences I've had for it. Makes life interesting.

I'm sort of thinking the difference, and what I miss, is not the amount of power on tap, but the power delivery. Even the 636 has more power than I can fully use on the street. Truth be told, my 10R could probably have been down tuned to the maximum output of the 636 or even a little less and I wouldn't have cared as long as it delivered the power as the litre does up to that point. I think maybe it's the feel of the torque and the power delivery that has me longing to come back. All I can say for sure is that a 6 and a litre are two completely different rides and I like the litre ride better. :;):

·
Registered
652 Posts
I could never go back to a 6....Im a little surprised that youre considering a gixxer. Not that theyre not good bikes, but the path is well traveled. Good luck tho... :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
WOW El-D. I can understand how you feel. I have NO desire now to ride my 7R or the wifes 6R. You have to shift the crap out of those 600 cc bikes to keep them in the sweet spot. Dont have that problem with a Liter bike.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bobster said:
I could never go back to a 6....Im a little surprised that youre considering a gixxer. Not that theyre not good bikes, but the path is well traveled. Good luck tho... :dontknow:

I guess the gixxer consideration is more of a curiousity thing for me. I'd just like to compare it to the 10 before I make a decision. It's the only other litre that really interests me at all, so I thought I'd give it a look. I'm definitely leaning more toward a 10R. If the 636 sells quickly I may see what I can find in left over '05 10's. The longer it takes to sell the 6, the more I'll probably lean toward waiting to see what the '06 10 feels like. I'm still torn on the looks and styling of the '06, but it's growing on me.

I figure if I could just score a ride on a K5 gixx I'd probably go for the 10 and not have this curiousity nagging at me. At this point I'm thinking that risking liking the gixxer as much as I did Diablo would be about as big a risk as it was going to the 636 thinking I'd like it as much. I see where that ended up and don't care to take another detour on the way back to what I want. That's why I'm probably 85% set on another 10. :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zx-7rking said:
WOW El-D. I can understand how you feel. I have NO desire now to ride my 7R or the wifes 6R. You have to shift the crap out of those 600 cc bikes to keep them in the sweet spot. Dont have that problem with a Liter bike.

Yeah, I remember the days of throwin' Diablo into second or third gear, depending on the road I was on, and just forgetting the shifter was there. I don't really mind shifting the 636 to keep it in the sweet spot, but I think I do prefer choosing the right gear for the road and keeping my feet up on the pegs from there on out. :wink:

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Ide definatly wait for the 06 to hit the floor....i know once you see it in person, sit on it, ride it, whatever, youll have no reservations about any other bike.....sure it has some cosmetic flaws, but been hearing that companies will be making an under-the-bike exhaust and output, could be rumors, who knows, but if so, it will be bad azz.....not crazy about the headlights either, but thats a small sacrifice for the performance you get.....im definately considering selling to get one, but the only thing i hate is waiting for aftermarket stuff to come available, but i kept my 04 stock forever before adding any mods... however, the only color ide want is black and we all know those are gonna go quick!! so if i want one i better start thinkin hard on it....

also, im surprized that you wouldnt consider the r1 as an option, that would be my 2nd choice behind the 10

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I know where your coming from El D I had two fast bikes last year and at the end of the season was feeling funky and sold them both and bought a Harley!!! :dontknow: I came to my senses by the time I had 2000 miserable miles on my harley and took a $5000 loss on that bad boy to get off it.. One thing I learned is that just because the Harley seller is ASKING a price doesn't mean he'll get anywhere near it.. :sad: :lol:
I lost less money on the Busa I had for four years..even AFTER all the mods..

I think I would definately wait til the 06 hits before you make any kind of desicion. your bike shouldn't drop much more in value then what it already has..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Supposidly the 06's would be at least as good as the 05's if not better. I know most of us don't like the stock tail of the 06 10; but knowing you, no matter what you get will not remain "stock" for long. If by some chance you hit your head and go with a gixxer, get the solid black Canadian version. If you are wanting a black 10, get an 06. Personally, I think you wont be happy with anything but a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yep, I bought an R6 in 2003 and a ZX10 in 2004. I know how you feel. The litre bikes are really better for all around riding. If you're looking to push the limits, then a 600 makes more sense (1000cc is no respecter of person).

I would guess your 600 would have decent resale. You shouldn't loose more than say a thousand or two (am I right?).

·
Registered
583 Posts
El Diablo said:
Yeah, I remember the days of throwin' Diablo into second or third gear, depending on the road I was on, and just forgetting the shifter was there. I don't really mind shifting the 636 to keep it in the sweet spot, but I think I do prefer choosing the right gear for the road and keeping my feet up on the pegs from there on out. :wink:
:heyyou: :bump: you need a "10" :crackup: :fu2: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kuzco said:
why dont you just get a V-twin if you like the torque so much.
Never had the desire to own a v-twin. I'm just an I4 kinda guy I guess...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
Ide definatly wait for the 06 to hit the floor....i know once you see it in person, sit on it, ride it, whatever, youll have no reservations about any other bike.....sure it has some cosmetic flaws, but been hearing that companies will be making an under-the-bike exhaust and output, could be rumors, who knows, but if so, it will be bad azz.....not crazy about the headlights either, but thats a small sacrifice for the performance you get.....im definately considering selling to get one, but the only thing i hate is waiting for aftermarket stuff to come available, but i kept my 04 stock forever before adding any mods... however, the only color ide want is black and we all know those are gonna go quick!! so if i want one i better start thinkin hard on it....

also, im surprized that you wouldnt consider the r1 as an option, that would be my 2nd choice behind the 10

Yeah, the '06 is an option... but what I'm afraid of is waiting and getting an '06 and not liking it as much as I did Diablo due to the suspension changes and such. Might be better than Diablo, but then again it might not be. Just another gamble I'd have to risk since there will be no test rides, ya know? It's tempting as hell to wait and try to get an '06 for sure...

As for the R1, like the K5 Gixx has grown on me, the R1 has grown "off" of me for lack of a better way to put it. Funny how that works. I loved the looks/styling of the R1 when it came out and now I'm not so crazy about it. I hated the Gixx and now I think it's one sweet lookin' ride. The '06 10 was hideous the first time I saw it and it's already growing on me. By the time I see one in the showroom I'm sure it will be quite sexy. :dontknow:

As for mods, the truck payment I have now will hinder that anyway, so not having parts available for the '06 could be a good thing. :mrgreen: If I could get braided SS lines, a double bubble screen, and a set of adjustable rearsets for it fairly quickly I'd be quite content to live with everything else, including the stock cans, for a while. Well, it would have to have a set of Pazzo shorties as soon as they were available. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DB's ZX10R said:
Didn't see this coming..... :rolleyes: :heyyou:
Yeah, who'da thunk it, right? :heyyou:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I think you should stick with what you know, I mean sounds like you loved Diablo why not get another one? Lots of good deals out there with most of the mods you describe, can't lose. Hang on to that one for another year or so see what they have up their sleeves for '07, an improved '06. Sure that bike is gonna' be sweet (aside from the cosmetic issues) but its brand new, surely there's going to some minor details they could improve upon for '07, just like they did for the '05 from the '04. That way there will plenty of aftermarket goodies and you'll know everything there is to know about that bike. Just my .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts