Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok time to get into drag racing!
I'm brand new to dragging but has been around nothing but drag racing. I road race a lot meaning roll ons on the highway and what not but has NEVER drag raced.

So I got this 04 I can use to drag and I was practicing launching last night and I'm trying to leave at around 6k as I launch the bike seems to bog should I launch at higher RPM's like 8k like most people say? I'm a lil worried about that since I'm SWB and never launched hard before.

Its an 04 SWB with full Akra, pc3, Scotts damper lowered ummm A LOT! -1 front. I weight about 150 with gear. Also during drag do you guys use clutchless shifts or no?

Any suggestions or advice? I plan on doing a 2' or 3' add to the SWB. Didn't want to go to far since I didn't want to lose that much cornering. Getting my gears undercut, and installing cams and shift star also during the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Clutchless shifting when drag racing.

I've got a quickshifter that'll plug right into your PC3 - kills the ignition rather than the throttle so you can shift wide open throttle if you want. $100 to your door.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Clutchless shifting when drag racing.

I've got a quickshifter that'll plug right into your PC3 - kills the ignition rather than the throttle so you can shift wide open throttle if you want. $100 to your door.
use your clutch and you add 3 seconds :thumbsup:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just stretch it 4-6 in. then launch the hell outta it ... Then shift as fast as you can without the clutch just a small blip of the throttle ... See what you get.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you guys don't think I can get away with just a 2-3 inch stretch? Yes, I know I have 4 bikes now BUT this 04 seems to be my favorite!

Using the clutch doesn't really add 3 seconds does it?

Me weighing 150 with gear what am I looking to get for my first run? 10.8's?
And lets say I got GREAT and to keep it SWB what should be the best numbers I should be looking at?

Thanks so far for all the input guys, I will keep you guys updated and post slips.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
my 04 that i had for one month that was bone stock i went 10.15 first time out stock ride hight, stock gearing and wheel base. got stolen 2 weeks later. now as for my 05 i have gone 9.3 foot shifting with kawi race intake cam and thin head gasket -2 and plus 2 in the rear. i still could go faster but havwent had any good luck this year with the new setup dam big bores

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn -2 in front? wouldn't it be easier on your chain if you went -1 and +5? What's your top speed with that set up you think? 160ish?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
yeah but i had the 15 and just put it on not sure what top speed was i put the 16 back on to ridr the street only stakes a few min to change them

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah but i had the 15 and just put it on not sure what top speed was i put the 16 back on to ridr the street only stakes a few min to change them
You were the one that mentioned the Robinson gear right? I could not find a site for them.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Schnitz Racing has it but it makes a lot of noise. :thumbsup:
but is it worth it? I'll deal with the noise if the gear is strong and will hold up.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i bet that gear is stronger than the stocker i loved mine

·
Registered
840 Posts
You should be able to do 10.5's easy at your weight with stock ride height. Lowered u should go quicker. -2 in the front isn't that hard on the chain. I weigh 210+ with gear and I've gone 10.03 with swb. Track time makes the most diff. though, test and tune days rock. Just let it cool down a little between passes.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
damn jblaze, your light weight at 150lbs you can be a horse jockey

you have 4 bikes make this one long. :thumbsup: Keep the clutch fibers soaked good and leave around 7500.
:+1: tilt the bike steeply to the right to lube it up good just before launch

use your clutch and you add 3 seconds :thumbsup:
no, not really. maybe 3 tenths

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
whats so good about the shift star?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
but is it worth it? I'll deal with the noise if the gear is strong and will hold up.
Yeah Im sure its stronger than the factory one. Its just that the pitch on the teeth is different to allow for the different tooth count and its really loud mostly on decel and only in first gear. if you can put it in yourself its really not that expensive. On the other hand if you have to pay someone to do the work its alot of money for a small gain.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I lowered my bike 4" with stock gearing and ran a 9.6 at rockingham. I got some lowering links, and a lowering strap from Lee's performance for a little over $100. With the lowering links you can go stock, 2", or 4".

·
Registered
683 Posts
Keep riding it SWB it will teach you clutch and throttle control when launching. SWB riders are some of the best in the business...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts