Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my exhaust is all done except heat wrapping the pipes with titanium wrap .. which is ordered..

Now to my last issue before i start tuning .. here's my problem

I have an idle misfire .. Bike lopes a lil bit from 1100 and will drop a lil bit to like 900 every few seconds .. It runs strong other than that . maybe it misses a lil during low speed driving like 25-40 mph ...

Where should i start ? Throttle body synching ? Change plugs ? I just changed the air filter to BMC Race , no other mods except -1 gearing .. Exhaust is a Single mounted Hotbodies MGP Growler and gutted cats . No exhaust butterfly .. If its just needing a power commander cool ...A PC3 is in the near future

Thanks guys

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
You went to a different setup, I recommend a pc for sure! But it sounds weird, I borrowed a buddies 2nd gen for 2 weeks along with I've ridden a few others...all of them had a weird idle!

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You went to a different setup, I recommend a pc for sure! But it sounds weird, I borrowed a buddies 2nd gen for 2 weeks along with I've ridden a few others...all of them had a weird idle!
I had to it was rubbing a hole in my swingarm .. I needed a couple more inches off the 45 degrees to clear the swingarm.. just started to become a PITA . If i lived in a town with more resources at hand I would have kept going .. i was getting to the point where i was going to have to order this , order that . etc etc .. Just got stupid .. anyone who knows me ill have another plan going soon .... LOL .. I still wanna explore the double baffled cats .. The plan was to cut them open put a fatter baffle than could fit and sew it back up with a fatter belly ..

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Even after a custom tune, my 07 idles weird. I believe it to be the air temp sensor. Not bad, but just the way it is. I set idle to 1400rpm to cure the v8 cammed lopey sound. But, idle changes with outside air temps. Colder out it will idle higher than if its 80 out. And I dont mean cold start. I mean fully warmed up motor after riding even for an hour. Its a gen2 thing.
Raise your idle a few hundred rpm and watch the cam sound go away.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even after a custom tune, my 07 idles weird. I believe it to be the air temp sensor. Not bad, but just the way it is. I set idle to 1400rpm to cure the v8 cammed lopey sound. But, idle changes with outside air temps. Colder out it will idle higher than if its 80 out. And I dont mean cold start. I mean fully warmed up motor after riding even for an hour. Its a gen2 thing.
Raise your idle a few hundred rpm and watch the cam sound go away.
Yup thats what Im talking about ... I didnt notice it as much till I put some loud pipes on it .. thanks man .. Ill give that a whirl ... I take iit that low low end backfire / girgle is due to that pair valve

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes, the Gen 2 does lope a bit on idle. Putting a non-cat-ed pipe on without a PC will exaggerate the loping. Getting a PC on and tune will help a bit. If you haven't changed the plugs in a long while it is probably a good time to do so.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the Gen 2 does lope a bit on idle. Putting a non-cat-ed pipe on without a PC will exaggerate the loping. Getting a PC on and tune will help a bit. If you haven't changed the plugs in a long while it is probably a good time to do so.
I know your gonna say searrch .. But i cant search for something i dont know the label of . What is the plugging of the forced air system called . I think its called PAIR but not sure . .. I plugged it on my 05 zx10 and actually removed the pump . It did help with decel popping alot . hell it does it riding down the street ...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I know your gonna say searrch .. But i cant search for something i dont know the label of . What is the plugging of the forced air system called . I think its called PAIR but not sure . .. I plugged it on my 05 zx10 and actually removed the pump . It did help with decel popping alot . hell it does it riding down the street ...
If you got popping you may have a vacuum leak someplace. The first place to look for the vacuum leak or open is the throttle bodies. If you are in California there is a KLEEN system (fuel vapor canister) to remove that you have to plug a holes on the throttle bodies. But if you don't have a PowerCommander on your bike with an after market pipe, I would highly recommend getting one installed and tuned.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
They are called "block off plates". But, can just connect the 2 hoses together and eliminate the Y so it just goes left to right(the line) across the head. leave the connector plugged in though. Block off plates are only $30 if you wanna make it look tidy and all.

06BlackPearle--Absolutely will shoot flames, LOL!! I like it. Sucks when the cops are behind me though.:badteeth:

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They are called "block off plates". But, can just connect the 2 hoses together and eliminate the Y so it just goes left to right(the line) across the head. leave the connector plugged in though. Block off plates are only $30 if you wanna make it look tidy and all.

06BlackPearle--Absolutely will shoot flames, LOL!! I like it. Sucks when the cops are behind me though.:badteeth:
Yeah ... hehehe I remember this mod on my 05 .. I did it today . It helped alot but realized most of my girgle is coming from a HUGE Exhaust leak I didnt notice till today ... I ordered a new mid pipe I can work with better .. After that Ill prolly just go ahead and replace the plugs and synch the throttle bodies . Im looking for the tool now .. Hoping to snag a used one .. We'll see . Thanks for your imput man. I appreciate it..

I did a cross hose from one valve to the other .. Took a small hose off the solenoid popped it onto air box and jammed a marble inside that hose . Threw the AIS away and snatched the hose off it .. Thought about stripping off the secondaries but if I remember correctly when I did it to my 05 10R I didnt notice any difference... I had a 2005 CBR 1000 in between my 05 and this 0 I picked up

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
mine has the same idle...like a cammed hotrod!! I thought i was just mine til reading this, also thought maybe i screwed something when installing my blockoffs,but iguess its just the gen2! sounds cool too!!!:cool:

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
My 2nd gen lops around when you first start it too, then it goes away. And those block off plates, wouldn't you want to vent the crank case so you don't build any pressure and start blowing seals out? It's kind of like a pcv system in cars, why would you want to eliminate that? And how does it mess with tuning?

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2nd gen lops around when you first start it too, then it goes away. And those block off plates, wouldn't you want to vent the crank case so you don't build any pressure and start blowing seals out? It's kind of like a pcv system in cars, why would you want to eliminate that? And how does it mess with tuning?
no man they dont .. it was an emission deal .. kawasaki's way to clean the exhaust fumes or leftover .. the block offs allow you to plug the system while leaving the AIS solenoid in tact (This is how I understand it , I could be wrong :dontknow:)

. .. I just gutted that area.. The hoses, assembly and wiring interfere with my plug checks anyways ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts