Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my preferences for 2 guitars..a Strat and a Les Paul...

BUT....

What is the all time best TUBE AMP you have ever played??

Fender Black Face? Old Plexi? Mesa Mark? ....
What about "Boutique" Amps? Koch, Carr, Fuchs ODS, Matchless?
Which one sounds most like an original Dumble Overdrive??

Austin is fixing to buy again and he needs TRUTH !!:dontknow:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just out of frame is my 100w 30th anniversary Marshall half stack, and a 100w Carvin half stack.
I think the carvin sounds good when driven hard, but nothing compares to a Marshall! I've always wanted a Mesa-Boogie, do they even still make them?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Demian1970 said:
Just out of frame is my 100w 30th anniversary Marshall half stack, and a 100w Carvin half stack.
I think the carvin sounds good when driven hard, but nothing compares to a Marshall! I've always wanted a Mesa-Boogie, do they even still make them?
Yes Mesa is still around! My fave Mesa is the Mark I reissue with an EV chucked in....thick and focused AND LOUD!!

So thass one vote for a Marshall stack...

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
I have a Fender Black Face, and a Marshall 1974X Hand Wired. Of the two, I prefer the Marshall as it has more character, but the Fender is amazing for clean tones.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ara said:
I have a Fender Black Face, and a Marshall 1974X Hand Wired. Of the two, I prefer the Marshall as it has more character, but the Fender is amazing for clean tones.
Which Black face? Deluxe, Twin, Super??

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ara,

One of the amps I am looking at is the Twin in either an old blackface that has been serviced, or the new TRRI with the 15. Have you heard it yet?

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Cool. I have not yet played the TRRI with the 15 (forget what it's called), but i'm sure thats a great sounding amp too. You can't go wrong either way.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
I just sold my re-issue twin,..If you want loud, it definately had that, but i was never really impressed with the clarity. At low volume it always seemed a bit muddled and a touch too bassy. And you had to play it at way too high a volume to achieve a good tone. But then, it really sounded great, and probably the best of any amp i have played. Ive only owned Fender except for a Roland blues cube i still have, but its a solidstate, though it does a good job, and has the best clean sound besides the Twin reverb.

I played around on a Mesa the last time i was at the local music store, and i must say, at the time i wished i had the money to take it home.

Btw, thats awesome you share the b-day with Stevie Ray. Hes still my favorite guitar player f'sho.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Austin10RPowers said:
I have my preferences for 2 guitars..a Strat and a Les Paul...

BUT....

What is the all time best TUBE AMP you have ever played??

Fender Black Face? Old Plexi? Mesa Mark? ....
What about "Boutique" Amps? Koch, Carr, Fuchs ODS, Matchless?
Which one sounds most like an original Dumble Overdrive??

Austin is fixing to buy again and he needs TRUTH !!:dontknow:
Austin,
My .02 cts would be a Boogie Mk 4. I own a combo and the thing is truly the most versitile amp Ive owned. (and Ive owned a bunch of them) It is a 3 channel amp with the insertable 5 band EQ. It will run in Class A mode (my fav :mrgreen: ) or it will run in SimulClass. You can also select between Pentode and Triode. Stock the amp run on 6L6`s but you can take the outer 2 out and sub them with good old EL 34`s if youd like a more British flavor. You can even run 6v6`s in the amp with no modification to the amp. It has an effects loop, reverb, silent recording, and a bunch of other stuff i cant even think of rite now. The amp was smokin rite out of the box and does have ANY sound you might be looking for. The only thing I would to a brand new amp is get rid of the boogie tubes that come in it and get ahold of Bob @ www.eurotubes.com He sells J.J. Electronic tubes (they used to be Tesla tubes) The amp was great before swapping to these now it is out of this world!! I will use those tubes in any amp I ever own!

As for other amps Try out a Budda www.budda.com I have heard good things about them and I owned a PhatMan distortion pedal that was killer.
Another amp that I will probably be buying soon would be a Bogner Ecstacy
www.bogneramplification.com ( I think?) you can listen to their amps on the site. There is also Soldano. anyway thats my .02cts worth on amps. good luck with whichever you choose but I do highly recomend checking out euro tubes web site. :thumbsup: :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I am trying out the Blue Voodoo (Crate) right now. Liked the Mesa and the Kustom in the stores though. I primarily stay in the clean channels on the Crate especially with my shector C7 (stock pu's). Also run a CA125D (Crate) accoustic amp that is pretty neat for my Tacoma 6'r and Ovation 12'r. I am not really a player but like goofing around with playing. So my experiences with amps are minimal.

Good luck

·
Registered
616 Posts
GuitarPlyr said:
I just sold my re-issue twin,..If you want loud, it definately had that, but i was never really impressed with the clarity. At low volume it always seemed a bit muddled and a touch too bassy. And you had to play it at way too high a volume to achieve a good tone. But then, it really sounded great, and probably the best of any amp i have played. Ive only owned Fender except for a Roland blues cube i still have, but its a solidstate, though it does a good job, and has the best clean sound besides the Twin reverb.

I played around on a Mesa the last time i was at the local music store, and i must say, at the time i wished i had the money to take it home.

Btw, thats awesome you share the b-day with Stevie Ray. Hes still my favorite guitar player f'sho.
I never really liked the re-issue Fenders. I think they sounded completely different than the originals. I have an old black face super that sounds great. It is very clean.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Demian1970 said:
Nice spread! Mine is all in cases I have to dig them out to play, I only have 5 guitars and three amps. I don't have the time to play like I once did but I still get one out every now and then.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zega said:
How about some sound clips................................so we know you guys aren't just posers. Hahahahahaha! :wink:
hmmm...have to figure out how to do that and post it..

LOL

My son is 16 and has been playing for 3 years and is a FREAK of nature!!
He is 70% of a SRV now and Guitar center nearly shuts down when he plays his blues licks. I now have a guitar teacher that I can send to his room if he does not show me what he is playing!!

LOL...I'm a hacker and did not start playing until I turned 40...doesn't stop me from trying. Hard to build with old clay!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Best amp I ever had was a Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier. Nice fat dirty sound and a really clean clean sound. Had to sell it back when I played in bands because my car got stolen and wrecked with no insurance. Still got my 66 Fender Mustang though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts