Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old bike, once we got to 5,000 km (what's that in miles ... 3,000?) we'd normally switch to synthetic .... say Motul 5100 (tehnosynthetic or something ... part synthetic) or 7100.
The title assumes the bike doesn't start life with synthetic (?)

Is this the same with this bike?
Any particular issues, such as residue in the old oil? Changing the oil is straightforward and good practice, anything specific about this bike that needs to be known?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
There is a "sticky" thread regarding oil changes. Some have issues getting oil pressure to build. Read the thread. Its either in the General discussion, 10r section, or Performance and Tech section at the top marked sticky.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Most people wait to switch to synthetic at the 1000 mile mark. It's done to "complete" the break-in on dino sludge. The tolerances are so tight these days and the motor was run up to redline right after it came off the production line. Doubtful it matters much any more, but the old rule of thumb is to wait for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, appreciate it.

I did a search under 'oil' but nothing popped up, which seemed strange to me too. I'll try again.
EDIT: Found it, but it doesn't really cover my questions ... it's about the oil pressure warning lamp. It also has a warning about any subsequent threads being locked. Hopefully it won't happen :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks for that :thumbsup:
So, much like any other. Interesting that opinions have generally chnaged, when I researched the same topic 5-odd years ago there was a lot more fear of syntehtic oil.

Does the sump have a plug washer that needs to be replaced?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
You can reuse the plug washer a few times before it will seep.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
By the time you get the bike the rings are pretty much bedded in...You can do the usual 1000 mi before full change or even do a 50/50 mix at 500..Pay attention to oil consumption...
For the most part there is no big difference and some engines will just not seat rite with synthetic,no real reason why but just will not like it..Only differences in synthetic and mineral is basically the additives packages and synthetic offers a lil more protection..

·
Registered
828 Posts
I started 300V on my gsxr at about 500 miles. It's been trouble free every one of its subsequent 46,000+ miles. I'd say do it as soon as you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts