Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, how many of you are still going to ride during the winter? personally, i am looking forward to christmas day when there's not a single soul out and it's just me and the po-po. seriously though i do plan on riding in the cold at least sometimes this winter, but this leads to my next question, when it gets colder like this are you guys using a lighter weight oil? what brand and weight?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The first set of numbers determine how well the oil flows in cold weather conditions. ex. 10w-30 5w-30 15w-40:thumbsup: and i ride all year round including 50 degree weather.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what weight do you ride?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I use shell rotella 5w40wt. Wally world has it for like 16 a gallon and use their supertech filter which are made by purolator. Excellent oil with very good shearing properties.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would suggest you look at you manual.
In late summer temps. here are commonly over 100 degrees. That's when in swtich to 15-50w.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Be kind to your engine and never run oil with a cold viscosity of more than 5 regardless of temperature but especially in colder temps. Just like with tires, even when it's 100 degrees outside the oil isn't 100 degrees and needs to be as thin as possible at startup to prevent damage. I've never understood the reason for oils with 15 or 20 values at startup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts