Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 10r, and i just gave it its first oil change, 10-40 petroleum oil reccommended by the mfg in the manual for oil type (for motorcycles of course). and the kawasaki dealer said to put in synthetic. they said for the first oil change (or 2-3k miles) is change it to synthetic. I said what!? he said, yes, ask all your freinds, the best thing you can do for your bike it to change it to synthetic.
So im asking all you guys. I think they are full of crap. what do you think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding was...
using synthetic would make the engine run maybe a little cooler, higher/better slip for the high rpm were runnin with it, but greater amount of engine wear.

regular petroleum based oil would make the engine run a bit hotter (as like sitting @ idle, it only takes 2-4 minutes at a stop light for the engine temp to rise to 210-220...im in texas), but will have less engine wear and has better oil life than synthetic.

i would think as a street bike the petroleum based oil is better for your bike.

Oil is very important to me and to use the best oil posibble for the application. Using wrong oil has seriously screwed me in the passed so i am very cautious of going against mfg reccommended oil grade/type.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I've been runnin Repsol synthetic in my 04 since about 1,000 miles - have almost 6,400 miles now - no problems at all (with the engine anyway).

·
Registered
79 Posts
another thread about this somewhere else, but someone had redline oil tested at 1000 miles, still maintained indicated standards for new oil. They said it was the only oil that they had ever seen perform like that. That being said, run petroleum based oil until you finish the break in period. Then change to a full synthetic approved for wet clutches.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 06 10r, and i just gave it its first oil change, 10-40 petroleum oil reccommended by the mfg in the manual for oil type (for motorcycles of course). and the kawasaki dealer said to put in synthetic. they said for the first oil change (or 2-3k miles) is change it to synthetic. I said what!? he said, yes, ask all your freinds, the best thing you can do for your bike it to change it to synthetic.
So im asking all you guys. I think they are full of crap. what do you think.
I think you are correct and your dealers is wrong.

Trying very hard to avoid a running in war / discussion, but the fact remains that the motor will continue to settle in for several thousand miles. And if treated correctly during this time will make the best possible horsepower in the long run. I personally believe that putting a "too slippery" oil in to the machine too soon halts this process, or at least impairs it. Personally what I do is change the oil at the first service interval with a mineral based oil of the thinest grade acceptable by the manufacturer and run it for another 2- 3 thousand miles, during this time all I refrain from is extended high speed runs (checking out the top speed basically), then I change it again for a synthetic at about 4K miles and continue on with synthetic at the manufactures indicated service intervals.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I think you are correct and your dealers is wrong.

Trying very hard to avoid a running in war / discussion, but the fact remains that the motor will continue to settle in for several thousand miles. And if treated correctly during this time will make the best possible horsepower in the long run. I personally believe that putting a "too slippery" oil in to the machine too soon halts this process, or at least impairs it. Personally what I do is change the oil at the first service interval with a mineral based oil of the thinest grade acceptable by the manufacturer and run it for another 2- 3 thousand miles, during this time all I refrain from is extended high speed runs (checking out the top speed basically), then I change it again for a synthetic at about 4K miles and continue on with synthetic at the manufactures indicated service intervals.
:+2:

BD

·
Registered
515 Posts
I talked to My Buddy Raul at Factory Pro He said Baby the bike for the first 300 miles then change oil to non Synthetic. Then run the engine up to 8000 rpms on and off for about an hour shut the bike off for 1/2 hour let cool down then repeat this for three days of riding then ride it however I want and change to Synthetic at 1500 miles .:thumbsup: Every body does it different Raul is the Bomb bike tuner I trust what He says:cool:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Your dealer was correct. Changing to full synth after 2000 miles or so is a good thing. Sure it is more expensive but you can run the oil longer and it protects your motor on cold starts much better than dino-oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts