Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to the track yesterday, made two passes on new oil on my 2nd pass came down the return road and the motor started knock so i drained the oil and it came out grey with metal flakes. Could it be that the head gasket was not seated properly which lead to bearing failure ? Prior to this I had a thin head gasket installed and I've made total of 14 passes since then.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sounds like it. Coolant in the oil will kill rod bearings pretty quick. Did it overheat at all?

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Damn that sucks bro,
It's definitely coolant in the oil.
Your gonna have to tear it down, hopefully its just the bearings & head gasket.
Keep us updated.
Sorry that happened to you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks hellsrazor I'm going to start tearing the motor down this week and see how bad it is and I'll give an update

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
If the oil were a murky brown, then I'd say it was coolant in the oil... gray is usually a cam getting wiped out, clutch steels disintegrating, or bearing material. Once that fine metal/oil mixture starts getting pumped through the oil system it's pretty much game over for every friction surface or bearing it goes through. :(

Do a quick pressure test on the radiator with the oil drain bolt out to be sure. If you lose coolant pressure and water starts running out the oil pan drain then you have a gasket/head/cylinder leak issue to chase. If not, then you can look for a mechanical part failure instead. Either way, that motor has to come all the way apart. Sorry for your luck. :(

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
If the oil were a murky brown, then I'd say it was coolant in the oil... gray is usually a cam getting wiped out, clutch steels disintegrating, or bearing material. Once that fine metal/oil mixture starts getting pumped through the oil system it's pretty much game over for every friction surface or bearing it goes through. :(

Do a quick pressure test on the radiator with the oil drain bolt out to be sure. If you lose coolant pressure and water starts running out the oil pan drain then you have a gasket/head/cylinder leak issue to chase. If not, then you can look for a mechanical part failure instead. Either way, that motor has to come all the way apart. Sorry for your luck. :(
I gotta disagree with ya spaz,
I have seen with my own two eyes a head gasket go on bikes and cars
where the oil is a milky white to a grayish color.
Different coolants can make different colors when mixed with oil,
because you have different color coolants.
Orange, green, pink, so on.

And the head gasket is the weakest link in the engine.
So its the most logical place to start.

·
Registered
328 Posts
every grey oil drain coupled with loud knocking HAS always been a bearing in my experience(have blown up 3 bikes, and a truck, lol). what caused the bearing to go is a different story!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use engin ice for coolant which is purple so maybe that's why the oil was gray. And how is a pressure test done and how would check to see if a cam was getting wiped out

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Gotta pull the cams to check them and look at the caps to see if scoring. Really sounds like you spun a bearing whether crank or whatever. Gotta disassemble motor man. Only way to check and know what all is screwed.
Like was stated, any metal from a badly spun bearing will likely ruin many others.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
there is a hand pump that mounts on the raidator. It also has a gauge. Pump pressure on the system and the let it sit and see if it leaks down.

Another way is to mount a funnel on to the coolant resivior and plug the overflow. You need to seal up were the funnel mounts resivoir so you can full the funnel up with out it leaking down. An old radiator cap with center punched out with a funnel JB welded works well. Air will rise to the highest point in water. So if the coolant level in funnel is the highest level you will see the exhaust bubbling up through the coolant. It also is a painless way to "burb" a coolant system. Autozone sells the funnels w/ standard sized radiator caps for cars but those funnels seem like they would be too cumbersome to work on a motorcycle. Just an idea.

This one wasn't that bad. The electric water pump on the engine smoothed out the rate but if will get very agitated when you rev the motor with a mechanical pump. You can see the water turning murky from the oil/exhaust.click the pic to go to the link of the vid.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I gotta disagree with ya spaz,
I have seen with my own two eyes a head gasket go on bikes and cars
where the oil is a milky white to a grayish color.
Different coolants can make different colors when mixed with oil,
because you have different color coolants.
Orange, green, pink, so on.

And the head gasket is the weakest link in the engine.
So its the most logical place to start.
Eh, may be either... just giving him a better starting point for troubleshooting before he puts a wrench on it. It can be be gray from coolant, but it usually isn't. That's only based on the 30-40 or so motors I've done though.... it's certainly not definitive :).

And funny enough; I've melted pistons, bent valves, fried clutches, broken sprocket teeth, and tossed chains on bikes (and seen far more disastrous shit on cars).... but never once popped a head gasket. In fact, the only time I have seen head gaskets go is when heads/blocks have been decked wrong, overheated, or run at more than 30lbs of boost. :badteeth: Assuming you torque the heads properly, they are far from the weakest link. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys you all have been good help I've got some work to do that for sure but the first thing I'm doing taking my head off and get it check out before I put it on my 3mill

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got a chance to get in to my motor yesterday. I took the head off and I have a valve that dropped it looks like the guide broke not sure what caused it also can see where the valve hit on three of the pistons. Info please. :heyyou:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
06 has a known retainer issue. Sometime late production run there was a new part number for retainers. Nobody knows when this happened but there are older threads about this.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
you have a rebuild coming your way. put everything back to stock if you can

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
My bike has a gen1 head on it
Didn't know that. Still stock valvetrane? Look into KW components.
A gen3 head has better velocity so if your head is trashed look into a gen3 head. Or just build up yours if useable. Don't know anything else to help. Thought you had an 06 and immediately thought about the retainer issue. My 07 was built 3rd quarter of 06 and I don't know what retainers I have and will have them replaced regardless at my valve adjustment over upcoming winter down time with KW parts. I am always nervous about weak links.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts