Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I blew my motor a few months back and when it went it shot a whole in the lower case and sprayed oil everywhere including my rear tire. Is there a certain cleaner such as brake parts cleaner or a certain degreaser that anyone has used that would work well on the tire? Also is it possible that beings the oil stayed on the rear tire for so long that that it might not grip as good as before even after I clean it? I'm running they old school pp's... Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
scrap it its not worth the risk for $250 oil soaks into rubber you will never get it out

·
Registered
779 Posts
Man I busted my oil pan and oil soaked my tire. I just used a whole can of brake cleaner on it and did a lil burn out and that tire snapped right back! I wouldn't get rid of it if it were me.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Get a couple cans of cheap carb cleaner from the auto parts store.
It will get all oil off the tire.
I use it to clean my paint guns, hands, any metal etc...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Brake cleaner eats rubber/ plastics and carb cleaner is even more aggressive. I wouldn't use either on a tire... if it was me I'd probably pressure wash it with a detergent and then do a quick burn out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Brake cleaner eats rubber/ plastics and carb cleaner is even more aggressive. I wouldn't use either on a tire... if it was me I'd probably pressure wash it with a detergent and then do a quick burn out.

Well, it has not hurt the plastic cup that holds the paint or the rubber O rings
in my paint guns.
Just sayin

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Your putting a petroleum solvent on a petroleum based product..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Water and oil dont mix so high pressure water I think would just move the oil around, carb/brake cleaner will cut the oil. Kinda like how dish soap cuts grease

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Did I not say pressure wash with a detergent?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Your putting a petroleum solvent on a petroleum based product..

Its not that crucial dude! This something I've done before not just something I think will be ok. It not like hes gonna fully submerge the tire in a "petroleum solvent" and let it soak for hours. I bet you don't use armor all or tire shine on your cars either huh?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Jus get a new tire i wouldnt chance it all these suggestions might work but theres always that "what if"......a new tire for a piece of mind my friend

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Lol not that crucial? so what your saying is tires aren't important anyway... I second just getting a new tire.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
I wouldn't do anything other than geek a few turns to see how it feels. If all well, then pick up the pace. When I forget about the tire, during the ride, then all is well. But if it feels funny after 20 miles of twists, I'd junk it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rather then be leaned over hoping it sticks I think I'm gonna just get a new set... My bike has never been dropped and I want to keep it that way... Always been a michelin pp guy but thinking about q2's this go around...appreciate the info gentleman...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
for confidence sake i bought a new tire when that happened to me. actually i just outright sold the bike. but the guy i sold it to cleaned it off with simple green a couple times, ran it through the dirt, low and behold a few months later he's running it on the track same tire. some people do it, i wouldnt, but it's possible to save it.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
Why not buy a couple of liters of coke and soak it in there then leave it out in the sun for a few days?

Or is that just an old wives tale I just made up.

ps: do not use Starbuck defac coffee.. Your tires will smell like a shot of espresso for weeks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts