Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fully realize I am kicking off a religious debate here, but here goes...

Just picked up a track bike - 2003 636 and am ready to do her first oil change. What oil do you guys recommend?

While we are it, how about a fork oil recommendation?

Also, which is the best aftermarket slip-on? Short levers? Colour of ZX10? Just kidding on those last three :cool:

:heyyou:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
SacCityZ, you're in Folsom? Chck out where i live! Hit me up man, we shul dgo riding. And now for your questions:

For oil: i use a semi-synth blend (Motul 5100) 10W40 after a bike has 3k miles, its not as expensive as full synth and you can still run the bike 2500-3000 miles b4 an oil change.

For fork oil, someone more experienced will chime in, cant help ya there

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I am sure EVERYTHING people recommend to you that they use is great oil. So before people start fighting I just wanted to say that.

As for me. I only ever use Royal Purple with OEM Filters.... Never know tho, I might try something else at my next oil change which should be very soon.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Well lookie who it is...:lol:

Have you really been away so long that you don't know what type of oil to use?

BTW black is now officially the fastest color. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well lookie who it is...:lol:

Have you really been away so long that you don't know what type of oil to use?

BTW black is now officially the fastest color. :mrgreen:

I have travelled back in time due to the outrageous speed afforded to me on my black ZX10 (which I always knew was the fastest colour).
I never had a track bike before so was looking for some expert opinion...I know to use the Walmart value brand in my ZX10 street bike.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Your right about that Andy!

I feel with every mod I put on my bike it just makes it go slower and slower and slower :mrgreen:

Just for being "BLACK" you gain a extra 20

·
Chairman of the Board
16,059 Posts
:+1:I loved the Royal Purple products so much I became a dealer, I have it in my car, my wifes car, my bike, my lawnmower, my weedeater....... infact all of the equipment at the plant I work for is on Royal Purple.:thumbsup:
I am sure EVERYTHING people recommend to you that they use is great oil. So before people start fighting I just wanted to say that.

As for me. I only ever use Royal Purple with OEM Filters.... Never know tho, I might try something else at my next oil change which should be very soon.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Damn! :thumbsup:
I'm jelous

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
On my 636 I used Motul, Amsoil, and then Repsol...I changed it every 2500-3000 miles.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Rotella T Synthetic...buy it at your local Shell distributor, it'll run you $16-$18 a gallon and they run the same base in Ferrari F1 cars ;) It blows the doors off anything anyone can muster up on this list to use ;) I've used it for YEARS in cars, bikes, lawnmowers, generators, etc...NO issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Color is the Orange, even more now that they dont make it. I'm sure EVERYONE knows that. :mrgreen: You have to be very comfortable with yourself to ride that lazer orange. And as a bonus, its a total Cop Magnet.

Oil - Motul, RPurple, Mobile1 or similar synthetic, once fully broken in. Much better Film Strength (parts stay lubed during shut down, during running for things like plain bearings and your cam tappets, etc), better Shear characteristics (contiguous coverage), shock absorption (think of the load on your bearings as the piston moves through its path), and much better resistance to heat. Heat kills your oil.

Amsoil is always outstanding, but it's designed to run for years and your oil will turn in to a colloid of impurities over time (sorry 'bout the google word). You should change after a long idle period, to drive out moisture. Minimally annually for me. That makes Amsoil the best if you are rich and can afford to change it. I'm not. (the wife thinks she is... but thats a different thread).

I change oil annually to get rid of impurities, and my miles/year are low, maybe 1500. If I could get more seat time, I'd change around every 3k miles, but thats probalby too often for synthetic.

Last note: Don't run synthetic until fully broken in, and break in is as much about your tranny/deburring gears as it is about the engine. I go to synth around 1.5k miles, but my '10 is sitn at 1000, so still on conventional oil (Valvoline).

For all the above reasons I run synthetic in all areas, Gear, Rear end, shocks, etc.

keep the faith.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use full synthetic mobil 4t 10-40 , very good oil holds up good against heat

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
BOP = slow. Ask Orange Juice

·
Registered
112 Posts
just went to pickup oil at the dealrship and ive run full synth in my old bikes but he said with the zx10 to not run full synth as its a ceramic head and full synth will cause blow by and unseat the rings??? any truth to this???

·
Registered
724 Posts
just went to pickup oil at the dealrship and ive run full synth in my old bikes but he said with the zx10 to not run full synth as its a ceramic head and full synth will cause blow by and unseat the rings??? any truth to this???
How hard is that hook line and sinker pulling on your lip there bud...they're full of shit. As long as you don't run full synth too soon (real low miles) you'll be fine. Run dino oil to break in the motor..after a few K miles you can go full synth without any issues.

Reactions: OneSLOW10

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
How hard is that hook line and sinker pulling on your lip there bud...they're full of shit. As long as you don't run full synth too soon (real low miles) you'll be fine. Run dino oil to break in the motor..after a few K miles you can go full synth without any issues.
You are sooo f'n right man..... REP for you. I hate peoples advise sometimes. Some one at his dealer saying it's not a good ideal? puh. STOP going there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts