Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of the scene for a little while and just picked up a new 07 ten that I am currently breaking in .

My question is what oil would most people suggest in the obvious 10/40w range and why? I used to use Motul but it was pretty expensive and I don't want to spend over fifty bucks on every oil change since I want to do them often.

I am sure opinions will differ (as will bank accounts) but I am looking for more of a general concensus.

Thanks for the help and suggestions

-Branden, WA

ps. I did a quick search for old posts and must not have used the right keywords aside from "oil" (in case someone wonders that is has been asked before)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Try spectro for a little while and then go to blend. I have been on my 4th oil change on my new ZX6R and the spectro 10W-40W shit is so smooth. I can't even begin to tell you what a huge difference it has made.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never tried Spectro but I have heard good things. How much do 4 liters run? Is it full synthetic? Thanks :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have never tried Spectro but I have heard good things. How much do 4 liters run? Is it full synthetic? Thanks :)
Dont use full synthetic till around 1500 miles. I like to break in bikes hard from the get go, (run them up to 8 or 9K rpm, lots of hard accel and decel) then change the oil at 20 miles. Every bike I have ever done this with I have seen metal shavings in the oil when I changed it with only 20 miles on the odo. Use regular 10w-40 non synthetic for the first 1500 miles, then switch to full syn. I use Motul 5100, it is a great oil.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Use full synth when you feel comfortable with it. There is NO proof anywhere that shows that switching to full synth is good/bad for your motor. I changed at 477 miles and went with Amsoil. Bike runs awesome with no oil usage issues. I know that Amsoil make the tranny smooth out and shift easier as well.....It's all about what make you comfy!!!

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Went full synth my first oil change...No problems. I run Repsol. Have also used in the past for other bikes Amsoil and Motul.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I just like the idea of breaking in with a petrolium based oil.
I switched at 1500 to Motul.
The Mobil 1 ranked pretty high and is about $5 a quart.

SportRider.com had a great write-on cycle oils about 1.5 years ago. You could likely find this article by using there search feature. An article worth reading.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are awesome, thanks!!! I really appreciate all the input. I was of the opinion not to use full synthetic during break in as well.

If anyone thinks of it can you put prices with the oil you prefer? Also it seems the K&N filters the preferred ones due to the wrench notch?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've used Klotz, Amsoil, Motul 300V and they were all good. Now I just get the easiest to find, Mobil1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Everyday riding=Shell Rotella T 5w40
Trackdays=Motul 300V 5w40
Always=Purolator PL14610

I know it's not the 10w40 you requested but I never use anything with a cold viscosity higher than 5. The quicker the oil gets out of the pan and into the engine the better, imo.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Anyone try out the Motul 7100? I have the 10W40 in my other bike. It is red. It looks a lot like transmission fluid. And has a sort of sweet smell about it. It is a full synth. So far so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts