Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound like a dunb question but hey i feel better asking here then not knowing.
in checking the oil level through the sight glass where should the level be at. when i stand the bike up the sight glass is completely filled with oil. where should the level be at?? thanks
also i need to know what kind of oil as far as like 10w40 or 20w50 etc... you guys use. thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
some use 10-40,, while others use 20-50,, depends on hot hot it is/personal prefrence and raceing,,, im going to switch to 20-50.. and the manual tells you how much to put in,,, 3.7???3.9 L with a new filter. but i fill mine just a smoooosh,,, above center.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
above the center of the sight glass?? man mine is way over the sight glass when i stand it upright. this is how the dealer did it. it says on the case that it should have 3l w/filter. also what of switching to sythetic. how many miles before the switch. still trying to figure out what that noise was that i have. i geuss ill have to bring it to the dealers but i wanted to make sure there was enough oil in it first, than im gonna do the oil change and see if that helps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i put a ???? next to the amount,,, i dont have my book here,,, maybe 2.7 or 2.9?? look at your book,,, and i never filled any of my bikes to the top of the site glass

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
When the bike is stood up, the sight glass should be between 1/2 way to 3/4 way to the top, with a filter change its about 3 quarts, usually a tad more. But the trick is to put in the 3 quarts, start her up for about 20 sec, stop, let the oil get back to the pan, and then check it, that way the oil filter fills with oil when you top her off.

I was using Motul 20-50 but went Amsoil full synthetic 10-40 and man what a difference especially in shifting, so much smoother now.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I can't remember for sure where the oil comes to in the sight glass but I put 3 liters of oil in when I change the oil/filter. Seems like it does come closer to the top than the middle though.
As far as switching to synthetic, just about everyone will have a different answer. I usually switch at about 2000 miles. Some people say to wait longer so that the engine and tranny can get fully broken in and others say do it as early as a couple hundred miles. My bikes have always dynoed better than average and I've never had any mechanical problems. I'm not saying my way is the right way, but it has worked for me.
I use 5/30 for trackdays and 10/40 for regular use, by the way. Both Motul.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. i am an amsoil dealer and i was hoping someone else was using it. i think i will wait a bit longer though before doing synthetic ansoil suggested the same thing to me. so i geuss the dealer way overfilled my oil when the bike isnt even straight up yet stil leening it goes up past the sight glass..... idiots

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Well if your an amsoil delaer, use that stuff, i like it, have it in my car and bike. Didn't think it'd make much difference, but i noticed almost immediatly the shifting was so much smoother and has just become buttery since. Go ahead and switch over at will, i use the purolater puroone 4610 oil filter also.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
If you look at the sight glass you will notice two little "tick marks" in the engine case toward the front of the bike. Those are the upper and lower oil level marks. The oil capacity on sticker is for a dry engine. You will always use a little less to reach the maximum oil level. The oil level reading you get is very sensitive to the position the bike is in. It should be level front to rear and side to side. The side to side you can do by just getting the bike to the balance point.

I switched to synthetic (Mobil 1 15w50 car stuff) at 1,000 miles but I did the Motoman break in. I also use the PurOne oil filter but the PL14612 that is a little longer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have it on bike stands on the garage floor so its pretty level and its way overfilled then. shit i drained it today and there was almost more than 4 quarts in there. should be just over 3. i poured the used oil into the old quart bottles just to see how much was in there. thats just stupid. again ... idiots

·
Registered
350 Posts
i work in the industry,,, and i have seen what those a holes do to cars/bikes, an the customer.... I NEVER LET ANYONE TOUCH MY STUFF,, NOT EVEN,, AN OIL CHANGE!!. sorry for yelling,,, do the reserch,, read books and ask questions,,,, you can do nearly anything your self.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i run a import performance shop so i do all my own mechanic work bikes cant be that much different...... ill definatly start doing my own work.
can overfilling these bikes cause problems, i am getting that nasty noise after all it did seem to get quieter with a oil change but is definatly still there!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Personally I have been using Silkaline 15-50, it's expensive as hell but makes a huge difference in the smoothness of the motor, more power to. With the filter removed it's exactly 3.2 quarts, that will put it on the top notch of the sight glass. I remember reading not to switch to synthetic before 1500 miles though. Don't use a stand because that lifts the bike from level, unless your using a front stand also that levels it back out. I also read somewhere that if your doing a lot of high rpm running, like racing, it is better to have your level toward the top of the sight glass, casual riding right in the middle of the sight glass.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
using front and rear stands, i just ordered a hydraulic motorcycle lift from a local lift company i should have it tues. im gonna start using it to damn it!!!!!!!
i heard they make really good oil i might try some of that used amsoil this time and it does feel pretty good. noise still there though .... shit. well if it breaks its under warranty

·
Registered
193 Posts
zfactor2004 said:
thanks everyone. i am an amsoil dealer and i was hoping someone else was using it. i think i will wait a bit longer though before doing synthetic ansoil suggested the same thing to me. so i geuss the dealer way overfilled my oil when the bike isnt even straight up yet stil leening it goes up past the sight glass..... idiots
I put Amsoil in mine at 2000 miles. Runs great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts