Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 has 1608 miles. Previous owner said he changed the oil about a year ago..Wife used to start the bikes for me once in awhile while im deployed till I had her get trickle chargers. Last time it was started, she came back out and the warning light and oil pressure indicator was on. She said the oil level is full and it looks a little dark. Anyway its one more thing to stress about out here. WTF??

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
The oil and FI lights could mean any number of things. If it's been sitting, it could be as simple as a bad or stuck sensor of some sort and not indicating low oil pressure or a major malfunction. You need to just pull the error code off the system when you get back and get some time with the bike. That will tell you want the problem is.

And please tell your wife (or anybody else) to STOP starting it up every so often! You're causing more damage to the motor starting it, letting it idle for a little while, and then shutting it off than it would if it just sat there. Leave it on the battery tender with a full tank of stabilized fuel and that's it. DO NOT start it up and let it run "just because" it's been sitting for awhile.

Oh, and thanks for serving! Just stay safe over there until you can get back to enjoy your ZX-10! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
if the bike sets for a while, all of the oil will drain from the filter and cause an air bubble that the pump will not burp out. easiest fix: loosen the oil filter, start the bike, and wait until oil starts to run out, then either shut the bike off, or quickly tighten the oil filter again. it just like when you build a new engine. you basically need to burp the system.

and if your gonna start your bike periodically, make certain it runs well into the normal operating temp, but it isnt good to let one just idle. I agree that it does more harm than good. but if you feel you must, the best way to do it is let the egine warm up until it shows a temp reading on the gauge, then sowly bring the rpms up to 2000rpm, hold it for several seconds, let it idle, then run it up again. you can do this a few times, and it doesnt hurt if it gets warm enough to kick the fan on. the trick is to burn all moisture out of the block, and circulate the oil through the motor to protect the few parts that will corrode due to moisture. but for gods sake dont bounce the rev limiter with out a load on it. 600s can handle that, but 1000s dont like it due to quite a bit more rotating mass. these are the procedures illustrated in factory kawasaki training vids, and it has never let me down.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I would take the filter off and put some oil in it and put it back on. You will have to pull the code to find out exactly whats going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts