Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a Purolator PL14610 filter at my first oil change based on recommendations from this site. It seemed like it took a long time for the filter to fill up and the oil pressure light to go out. After about 30-60 sec of idling with the light on, I shut it off and thought maybe I didn't put enough oil in, even though it was halfway up the sight glass. So I put more in, but it turned out there was plenty and I ended up draining the extra out.

How long should it take for the oil pressure light to go out? That PL14610 is larger than stock, so the top end is going to be starved longer while it's filling up. Can that be good for the engine? The manual does say to run it for "several minutes" at idle for the oil filter to fill.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
im not sure never had that problem before, must be an 05 thing

·
Banned
856 Posts
use the kawasaki filters man theyre better. it never takes mine more that five or ten seconds to shut the light off. usually ill crank it over a few time without letting the bike start for a while to get everything flowing again

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Can't say I understand why so many people are using something other than the stock Kawi oil filters. I can order from Ron Ayers, 5 or 10 at a time, and have them delivered directly to my door. I know they work, as they were designed for the bike. And any "better" filters seem to be an academic exercise for the most part.

Rant over. As for the problem you experienced, I'd say it had nothing to do with the Purolator filter. Sounds like you may not have primed the filter. Something that should be done regardless of the filter brand. Just fill it with as much oil as possible without creating a mess, before you install it, and the pressure will come up much faster.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
yes, always prime (fill up) your filter especially if you have a turbo'd car

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The Pure One PL14610 is 1/2" longer than the OEM filter, hence it will contain more oil AND subsequently take the xtra time to fill during operation so if you don't pre-fill your filter then its understandable but if you do get it as full as possible before installing it.

BD

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
i guess you put down your toy and did some homework BD

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
in school did you sit in front of the class and were you a hall monitor?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Yeah, I didn't pre-fill the filter. Lesson learned. :BangHead: I don't think anything was harmed since I went for a warmup ride and got everything nice and oily before I started.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Cryptoman said:
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Yeah, I didn't pre-fill the filter. Lesson learned. :BangHead: I don't think anything was harmed since I went for a warmup ride and got everything nice and oily before I started.
I also changed the oil at 60 miles on the 05. Not going to hurt to change it. I cut open the filter and there was quite a bit of trash in it. Nothing out of the ordinary though for a new engine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the oil at 100 miles. Probably overkill. This is the break-in procedure I'm using, although I'm sticking with dino oil until 500 miles.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I've had one oil change (at 1000 km) where the oil pressure took some time to build up, and two oil changes subsequently where the oil pressure light went off after two or three seconds.

The oil change where it took some time, I changed out the OEM oil filter. On the second oil change, I didn't replace the filter. On the third, I used the slightly larger Purolator PureOne (and the pressure build-up time was normal), and that's what is still on there now. The one thing I can think of is that the first one (where it took time), the engine was warm, and for the other two, it wasn't.

I don't think this has much to do with what oil filter is used, but has more to do with the pump "losing its prime". Even with the larger oil filter, the oil pump should fill it in 3 or 4 seconds or thereabouts - I'm not exactly sure how much oil the pump displaces on each engine revolution, I'm estimating several millilitres per engine rev.

If it takes longer than that, FOR SURE the problem is actually that the pump has lost its prime, and that happens because you drained the oil which empties the pump's inlet tube. There is no way of draining the engine oil without emptying the pump inlet tube at least partially.

Why does a pump lose its prime? because the fluid drained out of it too quickly and too thoroughly (it may be better to do oil changes COLD on this engine to keep a good thick oil film in the oil pump! and get the job done quick, don't let it sit around) or because there's air on the inlet side and nowhere for it to go on the outlet side (oil pump isn't good at pumping air).

Normally on engine rebuilds, before I put the clutch in it I always prime the pump before putting on the oil pan and then spin the oil pump with some oil in the sump and with an oil line disconnected so that I can confirm that the oil pump has filled the filter and most of the oil passages (and is primed). But this isn't practical on every oil change ...

It would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between the slow oil pressure build-up and whether the engine was hot or cold, and how long the oil was left drained before being refilled.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Well, i do run Kawi filters but i think the price is alot better for the Puro. Thats not enough for me to run the Puro's though. Love the Kawi filters i guess.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine was definitely warm, though the oil was not hot enough to burn skin. I did leave it drain for quite a while, as well as tip the bike from side to side a few degrees. I wanted to get the most of the old oil out, with whatever break-in metal particles might be present.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Crypto, maybe i missed it but what grade oil are you running? I'm running a 10-40 grade and after each oil change i can't remember honestly seeing the oil light come on at all after initial start up. I can surely understand a longer fill up time with a larger volume filter but this should occur rather quickly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm running 10w-40. I remember now having this problem once before on my ZRX1200R. Kawasaki must have a problem with their oil pumps losing prime easily.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts