Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started my bike today the oil level went down from the top line until it was almost not visable in the sightglass. Then I came in got my gear on and went back out and leaned the bjke over watched the oil level and started the bjke up and it slowly went down but not as far and I went for a short ride and the motor was up to temp 178 -180 degrees and I watched the oil level again and it only dropped from full to the lower line thats about half way on the sight glass? :dontknow: The oil light dosent come on but it just dosent seem right to me? How far does your oil level go down and what do you guys think, I hate to have to pull the pan!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If I remember correctly, the oil level should be halfway between upper and lower sight glass marker lines WHEN HELD VERTICALLY WITH COOL oil; not hot.

When the bike starts, of course the oil level will drop, as the oil is redistributed from within the pan to circulating around the engine as it does normally.

When shut off after reaching hot/running temps, it'll take a few minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan. Once back to the pan, the hot oil level will show higher than cool oil levels since heat expands the oil; increases the volume.. Don't sweat it..

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its at the full line when held up and then I start it while watching the oil level and it slowly only drops to about just under the bottom line? I just wonder if maybe the pickup screen is clogged?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,869 Posts
What does it matter? Answer - it doesn't. If the oil level is anywhere within the upper and lower hash marks when the bike is level, vertical, and cold, then don't worry about it and ride on.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
try not to get high before you ride, j/k. :cool:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does it matter? Answer - it doesn't. If the oil level is anywhere within the upper and lower hash marks when the bike is level, vertical, and cold, then don't worry about it and ride on.
what I mean is the oil level is perfect at the top line when bike is level and not running, and then I start it while it is still level and watching the oil level and it went down like it should. I then went for a short maybe 3 mile ride and shut bike off held it up level and watched the oil level while I started it and it hardly went down at all? When I first started the bike it went down all the way like it should I thought?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,869 Posts
what I mean is the oil level is perfect at the top line when bike is level and not running, and then I start it while it is still level and watching the oil level and it went down like it should. I then went for a short maybe 3 mile ride and shut bike off held it up level and watched the oil level while I started it and it hardly went down at all? When I first started the bike it went down all the way like it should I thought?
Again, if the oil pressure is good, and the quantity is good when cold, don't sweat it. there's no need to worry about it and there's so many variables that might cause this, it's not worth worrying over.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If I remember correctly, the oil level should be halfway between upper and lower sight glass marker lines WHEN HELD VERTICALLY WITH COOL oil; not hot.

When the bike starts, of course the oil level will drop, as the oil is redistributed from within the pan to circulating around the engine as it does normally.

When shut off after reaching hot/running temps, it'll take a few minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan. Once back to the pan, the hot oil level will show higher than cool oil levels since heat expands the oil; increases the volume.. Don't sweat it..
Great explanation :eek:ccasion1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts