Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 has sprung a minor oil leak- just a slight weep. It appears to be coming from the clutch cover or whatever is just above and forward of it. What is that just in front and above the cover? It's behind the clutch cable bracket.

·
YRR
1,595 Posts
My 04 has sprung a minor oil leak- just a slight weep. It appears to be coming from the clutch cover or whatever is just above and forward of it. What is that just in front and above the cover? It's behind the clutch cable bracket.
:hello:take a pic so we can see what your talking about please

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
:ttiwwop:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can get a picture but it isn't easy to see. I figured someone might know what is right behind the cable bracket immediately forward and above of the clutch cover. The bracket itself actually has a hole in it so you can access some sort of an adjustment. Is that the stator? I think the leak is just the gasket on the clutch cover but it may be coming from that whatchamacallit behind the bracket.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hard to be sure without pics but from what your describing it sounds exactly the same as i had on my '05. I had mine sorted at dealer with a good will gesture from Kawasaki. After taking the clutch cover off to replace what they thought would be the gasket the dealer found a hair line crack around one of the rear threads. Kawasaki admited it was 'probaly' down to an incorrect torque sequence at the factory as it wasnt the first they had seen. The clutch cover mates to an angled surface so would be pulled and damaged if tightened down in the wrong order/tightness. Take your cover off, clean it up and have a real close look at all the threads. That would be my plan of action. Let us know when you get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A cracked engine case? That would be awesome.

Picture or no picture, no one knows what the adjustment is right behind the shift cable bracket? I don't see how a picture is going to help. It's visible when you stand next to the right side of the bike.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Look at the cut-away drawing. See the clutch, and the gear just above and forward of it. I am weeping oil right in that area. I am not sure if it is the gasket, or if it is coming out of the stator? I hope it isn't the threads!

In the manual 16-27 you can see exactly what I am talking about. There is a little picture at the top with "A" and "B" on it. I am leaking somewhere in between the "Alternator Shaft Spring Bolt" and the clutch cover. I suppose the first step is to pull the clutch cover and see what's going on there.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
I suppose the first step is to pull the clutch cover and see what's going on there.
Thats what i said. Don't panic if it is what i described, it's the threads on the cover not the engine side. The mechanic at my dealer said 'if Kawasaki don't replace the cover they would be able to use a sealant and a new gasket' to keep costs down. Get in there and see whats up!

·
Registered
113 Posts
an old trick to find the source of an oil leak of this type is:
-wash the surface clean with a degeaser
-dry it thoroughly
-spray the surface with a powder, i use a spray can of foot powder
-run the engine, the powder constrains the oil stream an allows you to see the source

1 - 11 of 11 Posts