Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running a 2005 zx10r with 43000km. The guy i bought it from was a dick and didnt disclose oil leaks. It appears to be gaskets or potentially the sprocket shaft seal. Slow leaks, enough to fill my bottom fairing enough to drip after 2 days of cleaning it.

The guy says he has been running kawasaki S4 10w40 in it.

Ive always ran rotella diesel oil in my 4 stroke dirtbikes. Diesel oil 15w40.

So, my question is.... What thickness can i run if i want to go thicker to see if the oil leaks slow down or maybe even stops? I never ride lower than 5°c, so cold oil is not an issue.

Perhaps some high mileage car oil? Or something fairly thick with no additives?

Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are tricks to cleaning oil seals without removing them....youtube it.

There is probably grit under the seal, rather then a failed/worn out seal.

You could run 50, but id try the seal cleaning first

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the bike apart to clean all the old oil off and didn't see leaks around the seals, but i might've missed it. Im thinking if im going to be cleaning the seals I might as well replace them. Didnt look too bad on youtube.
There are tricks to cleaning oil seals without removing them....youtube it.

There is probably grit under the seal, rather then a failed/worn out seal.

You could run 50, but id try the seal cleaning first

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
1st Gens were notorious for valve cover gasket leaking. Easy fix if that's the case. You can peek in there and look or run your finger across the valve cover to feel for any oil residue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you're right. I noticed oil on both sides of the bike though. Noticed oil running down the clutch cover, so it has to be a high area. But on left side it seems lower area. It has me confused, not gonna lie.
1st Gens were notorious for valve cover gasket leaking. Easy fix if that's the case. You can peek in there and look or run your finger across the valve cover to feel for any oil residue.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My money is on the valve cover causing the leaks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Is it hard to get at? Haven't really looked yet.

The valve cover is on top of the motor, you know, where the valves are. Since the valve cover covers the valves, that's where it you'll find it. Under the airbox on top of the motor. :idea:

You should trace back to find the source of the oil. It never magically appears. It runs downhill so there should be a trail f it somewhere. Take the lower fairings off, clean the entire motor really well, and check the motor over for oil trails after every ride.

Once you find the origin, then you can fix the problem. Putting thicker oil in is asking for trouble and won't solve the problem. There is no "pour in" chemical solutions or "thicker oil" fixes for a leak. You have to track it down and reseal the area. Don't skimp on it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.. No shit... I meant pulling it off and replacing the gasket... As for cleaning it... i pulled all the fairing and stuff off to find the leak but still couldn't locate, so you being sarcastic isn't helping me find or fix the leak. If you look at the original post you'll also notice i said there's no oil up high on the left side. But seeing that you guys mention the valve cover gasket, ill probably tear it apart this winter and check things out
The valve cover is on top of the motor, you know, where the valves are. Since the valve cover covers the valves, that's where it you'll find it. Under the airbox on top of the motor. :idea:

You should trace back to find the source of the oil. It never magically appears. It runs downhill so there should be a trail f it somewhere. Take the lower fairings off, clean the entire motor really well, and check the motor over for oil trails after every ride.

Once you find the origin, then you can fix the problem. Putting thicker oil in is asking for trouble and won't solve the problem. There is no "pour in" chemical solutions or "thicker oil" fixes for a leak. You have to track it down and reseal the area. Don't skimp on it!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
.. No shit... I meant pulling it off and replacing the gasket... As for cleaning it... i pulled all the fairing and stuff off to find the leak but still couldn't locate, so you being sarcastic isn't helping me find or fix the leak. If you look at the original post you'll also notice i said there's no oil up high on the left side. But seeing that you guys mention the valve cover gasket, ill probably tear it apart this winter and check things out

The valve cover gasket isn't going to be fixed from cleaning. The area it is in is a high heat area. The rubber gasket deteriorates and doesn't properly expand to seal the area. Cleaning it won't fix the issue. The gasket gets replaced with fresh rubber. You need to remember that an oil seal is different than a gasket. The function is the the same, but not the way they do it. An oil seal may get some debris under it that can cause the issue. The seals low on the motor prone to debris, like the shift-shaft and crank seals are different than the valve cover gasket that won't see any debris. Cleaning the valve cover gasket is a waste of time. Cleaning the oil seals down low may work. The valve cover gasket has a history so it was mentioned. But the seal typically leak from the left side when the bike is on the sidestand and leaning left.

The stator cover, timing cover, and clutch cover are all on the right and low. You should be able to run your finger around those areas to see if there's an oil film. But you need to check the everything else also - airbox, starter, oil cooler, etc.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the usefull info. Theres definitely oil down low on the clutch cover. Bike is on side stand and leaking. And i just started having new issue... FI light came on when i hit 8k revs. Man, this guy really was a dick by not disclosing issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This just came out of the sprocket cover...was jammed in between countershaft sprocket and engine... Oil breather perhaps? Its rubber hose. Been looking in my partially printed off shop manual but cant seem to locate the hose. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Thanks for the usefull info. Theres definitely oil down low on the clutch cover. Bike is on side stand and leaking. And i just started having new issue... FI light came on when i hit 8k revs. Man, this guy really was a dick by not disclosing issues.

You can put it in dealer mode count no# blinks on the dash look in service manual see wat code its showin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
This just came out of the sprocket cover...was jammed in between countershaft sprocket and engine... Oil breather perhaps? Its rubber hose. Been looking in my partially printed off shop manual but cant seem to locate the hose. Any ideas?

That would appear to me to be the airbox drain line. The crankcase breater goes from the top of the case to the airbox. It needs to be filtered air going in and out of the crankcase. It's a much thicker hose than that. But the airbox is vented to the case and will collect oil in it. And rain water through the ram air. The airbox drain line is down the left side of the motor to give a place for oil film and water to drain. It's capped at the end. You can't pressurize the airbox from the ram air if the airbox has an open line. So it's capped. It's meant to remove the cap, drain the line, and recap and seal it. If it got wrapped up into the chain/sprocket, then it's cut or missing.

Look for it from the bottom of the airbox on the left rear side. If it's missing, get a line one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would appear to me to be the airbox drain line. The crankcase breater goes from the top of the case to the airbox. It needs to be filtered air going in and out of the crankcase. It's a much thicker hose than that. But the airbox is vented to the case and will collect oil in it. And rain water through the ram air. The airbox drain line is down the left side of the motor to give a place for oil film and water to drain. It's capped at the end. You can't pressurize the airbox from the ram air if the airbox has an open line. So it's capped. It's meant to remove the cap, drain the line, and recap and seal it. If it got wrapped up into the chain/sprocket, then it's cut or missing.

Look for it from the bottom of the airbox on the left rear side. If it's missing, get a line one.
After taking stuff appart, i can confirm that that hose was not the drain line. I took the counter sprocket off and there was more hose wrapped up in there.

Am i right in saying this oil leak is from the valve cover?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts