Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some hard riding the other day and when i stopped i noticed the side of my bike was covered with oil... it was coming out of the air box... leaking throught the vent hole (clear tube missing)i took the gas tank off and saw the inside of the airbox covered in oil. took the airbox off and 2 throttle body bores were also coated with oil... Is it safe to assume two piston rings are bad? bike is an 06 - 29K miles... intake cam, thin head gasket, exhaust, Power commander.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't sound good at all. The crankcase is vented back to the airbox so a light film of oil in there is normal, but not dripping out the vent line. Sounds like you're definitely getting some blow-by to over pressurize the case. You could verify that by doing a leakdown test on each of the cylinders though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took the throttle bodies off and the spark plugs, so far... and there was oil on the plug from cylinder 1 only... i will do the leak down test today on all cylinders... thanks for your help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was going to do the leakdown test, but was told i need to get the engine up to operating temps and then do the test. i turned it on and it sounded like it was struggling to stay on. i turned it off as a precaution. i drained the oil to see if there was anything mixed in it... had kind of a gas smell to it... i think i am going to refill it with oil tommorrow and try to do the leak test again at at operating temperatures. any words of wisdom before i attempt to do this? this is my first time doing a leak down test. i bought a leakdown test kit and compression test kit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can do a leak down test on a cold engine. The results are not as good (because the engine will not be sealing as well as if it were warm), but it will still tell you something, especially if you have a problem in one cylinder. We've done leakdown tests on cold engines bought off ebay and learned if they were healthy or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am betting you overfilled the crankcase, and extended high rpm 's blew out the excess.
I never run my oil above 3/4 glass, and never below 1/2.

I seriously doubt you have a bad motor... these things are tough as nails.
Nitrous, or turbo is about the only thing that will kill them... and if tuned properly they can handle boost or giggle juice for a long time too.

29,000 miles might be getting tired though... the airfilters on alot of bikes suck...dusting the bore

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i did a leak down test and i could hear hissing... took the valve cover off to make sure the cams werent engaging the valves. I poured a little bit of oil on top of the valves and there were bubbles. I will remove the head tommorrow..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts