Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last session of the day at the track i noticed oil leaking on the ground....took a look inside the lowers and yep...small puddle of oil sitting in the bottom...glad i had solid one piece lowers which kept the oil from getting on the rear wheel...anyway today i finally got around to removing the plastics, gas tank, airbox, radiator and the only thing i can see is a small leak from the valve cover on the right side....from the amount of oil in the lowers i wonder if it all came from the valve cover or could it be the head as well? the front of the engine is pretty dirty with oil grime which could just be a result of the cover leaking a little over time...i would hate to just replace the valve cover gasket and put it all back together to have it start/still leaking on the first session of my next track day...so if i'm replacing the valve cover gasket should i also replace the head gasket? keep in mind i've never changed a head gasket before...will i need to drop the engine? i picked this bike up about a year and a half ago for track days and its been a real champ and hasn't required any thing but oil changes every other track day....i wanted to look at the plugs after i had the airbox off but damn...they are deep...i can't get a socket on them..any suggestions on a tool that i need to purchase....thanks scott

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
the plug wrench that comes with the under seat tool kit should do the trick for the plug issue , if you're gonna tackle the head gasket it is a whole lot easier with the engine dropped

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
How do you like that 94?I have one too!!!It's in peices........................................................ all over my shop.:crackup:
I'm trying to get it back together but,I want to make it nice!Just ordered all new bearings(bossbearings.com).Waiting on those so I can paint the frame and swingarm(going to do a brushed aluminuim look).I've never had a 7 and can't wait to get it going!!!!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
treyzx10r said:
the plug wrench that comes with the under seat tool kit should do the trick for the plug issue , if you're gonna tackle the head gasket it is a whole lot easier with the engine dropped
no tool kit...i bought it completely stripped and track ready...no service manual either....the only thing i was able to track down is the service manual supplement which is somewhat helpful but often indicates to refer to the service manual for further instructions....doah.....so i will also have to look around to find the bolt pattern and specs for replacing the valve cover...the only thing the supplemental touched on relating to the valve cover was to apply gasket sealant to "the right and wrong sides of the gasket as indicated on in the service manual....why couldn't it have just read to apply sealant to both sides...lol...as for the indicated areas i suppose it couldn't hurt to just apply the sealant all the way around..as for the spark plugs....:dontknow: haven't figured them out yet...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ninjamaster6-10 said:
How do you like that 94?I have one too!!!It's in peices........................................................ all over my shop.:crackup:
I'm trying to get it back together but,I want to make it nice!Just ordered all new bearings(bossbearings.com).Waiting on those so I can paint the frame and swingarm(going to do a brushed aluminuim look).I've never had a 7 and can't wait to get it going!!!!!
luv the 94....she is a bit of a porker on the track but heck....on the days when we have the santa anna winds it doesn't bother me as much thanx to the steel frame...lol....the horsepower numbers are modest compared to todays standard but it all useable which keeps me in the thick of things to where even on this last trackday i was able to get around my buddy on his 05 zook 750 going into turn 5/6 at fontana surprising the crap out of him...lol....but i know what you mean by pieces...i have her fairly stripped now and hope i get her back together without too many extra pieces...but it might save a little wt...:thumbsup:

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
My 94 7 had the same issues the main leak was from the valve cover gasket easy fix but mine had alot of smaller leaks that were just to costly to mess with.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all back together...running much smoother with the new plugs...no leaks yet but i was only able to ride around the block a few times...but at least i'm ready for the next track day in march..:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts