Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I open my airbox and see there is a nice film of oil on everything. And the back end of the air box is a bit damp with oil. I raced the bike all last year and never had this issue. I don't overfill my oil so I am kinda puzzled as to why this is happening. I have the pair system in place and have the oil breather tube hooked up to the airbox (hence the oil). I am wondering if there might be something else going on with the motor, causing excess pressure internally and causing the oil to get into the airbox? The oil I am running is Motul double ester 300V.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Probably condensed oil vapor or residual oil from an aftermarket air cleaner, has the bike been stood for a while ?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, bike hasn't been sitting for a long time. I am using a stock air cleaner. Other than overfilling the oil what else would cause the extra oil to go into the airbox?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
A lot of high performance engines do this , sometimes it is noticeable sometimes not depends on how you last rode it normally.
If you have done a sustained ride at high ambient temperatures I would expect to see it , and also short rides before engine temps have reached optimum.

There are several scenarios.

Blow by from a lot of detonation increasing windage and oil temps.
Blow by from cooler cylinder temps (heavy use with a cold engine)
Increased core temperatures from sustained riding and oil vaporisation.
Frothing from excessive slosh (normally track days).
Overfilling.
Constant lean angles.
Wheelies.

Like I say , it probably does it a lot of the time but most of the oil is consumed and the airbox remains dry, sometimes its just a case of how you put your bike to bed from a days riding.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of high performance engines do this , sometimes it is noticeable sometimes not depends on how you last rode it normally.
If you have done a sustained ride at high ambient temperatures I would expect to see it , and also short rides before engine temps have reached optimum.

There are several scenarios.

Blow by from a lot of detonation increasing windage and oil temps.
Blow by from cooler cylinder temps (heavy use with a cold engine)
Increased core temperatures from sustained riding and oil vaporisation.
Frothing from excessive slosh (normally track days).
Overfilling.
Constant lean angles.
Wheelies.

Like I say , it probably does it a lot of the time but most of the oil is consumed and the airbox remains dry, sometimes its just a case of how you put your bike to bed from a days riding.
I only race this bike so all riding is at the track. The frothing and constant lean angles could definitely explain it. I race at WSIR and a good portion of the track has to be ridden leaned over on the right side with RPMS pretty high most of that time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok here is what happened to me this weekend I dont have my crankcase hooked up to my air box it is actualy hooked to a hose that runs up along the side of my subframe on the right then has a breather filter hooked.
Well after hitting the mountain I pulled off waiting on friends and Poof bike starts smoking.Oil had reached the breather filter and leaked out dripping on the exhaust causing smoke. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE -- so I wiped off the excess and allowed the bike to idle afterwards and no more issues.

All I can think of is that the elevation change and curves caused the crank to burp hard
Any ideas to this would be great

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
this is common in the zx10r, just do like some have posted, remove it from the airbox, seal airbox, run a line up to the reat tail of the bike and put a breather on it if you like. cased by increased crank pressure from changing rpm's, more common in engines with raised compression and or engine mods

·
Registered
255 Posts
So what you're saying is that the burp on my bike with the breather tube running up my subframe is normal and yes my bike is heavily modded -- Cause when it happened it scared the hell out of me at first I thought I had grenaded my motor but it was oil comming up and out the crankcase breather tube which has a mini K&N filter on it

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
yep

So what you're saying is that the burp on my bike with the breather tube running up my subframe is normal and yes my bike is heavily modded -- Cause when it happened it scared the hell out of me at first I thought I had grenaded my motor but it was oil comming up and out the crankcase breather tube which has a mini K&N filter on it
YEP!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts