Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 ZX-10R and just did a bike trip from Calgary,AB to Seattle, WA and back, it added up over 2000 km and I noticed the oil was very dark after the trip. I changed the oil a few weeks ago before the trip. I used just the mineral oil and the weather temp was between 90 - 102 F. Does anybody here experienced the same?

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
What oil are you using (puts on flame suit)...?

Dark oil doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I do 2 track days (325~ miles total) and my oil starts getting pretty dark. I only change it every 1k miles tho.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
its normal for the oil to get dirty looking I know when I went from regular oil to AMSOIL it got dirty quick also but thats just the cleaning agents in the oil doing its job, if your worried about it change the oil again and then see how fast it gets dark... wont take long at all.. oil will not stay looking like it does when you pour it in the bike...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
HTML:
its normal for the oil to get dirty looking i know when i went from regular oil to amsoil it got dirty quick also but thats just the cleaning agents in the oil doing its job, if your worried about it change the oil again and then see how fast it gets dark... Wont take long at all.. Oil will not stay looking like it does when you pour it in the bike...
HTML:
:+1:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its normal for the oil to get dirty looking I know when I went from regular oil to AMSOIL it got dirty quick also but thats just the cleaning agents in the oil doing its job, if your worried about it change the oil again and then see how fast it gets dark... wont take long at all.. oil will not stay looking like it does when you pour it in the bike...
Thanks.

I am just comparing to my last bike which is an 02 Honda F4i and I would ride all season (about 4 months here in Canada) and the oil looked way cleaner than my current ZX-10R at the end of the season.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Thanks.

I am just comparing to my last bike which is an 02 Honda F4i and I would ride all season (about 4 months here in Canada) and the oil looked way cleaner than my current ZX-10R at the end of the season.:dontknow:
Looks like a stratotech picture in you avatar. Are you up in edmonton often?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slipper Clutch......thats the difference
Wow! I didn't think the slipper clutch would do that especially I generally ride somewhat conservative.

I will have to give the Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic a try and see if that will help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a stratotech picture in you avatar. Are you up in edmonton often?
Correct, that shot was taken from Stratotech track. I did a track day last year there. I would like to do more track days but I live in Calgary and the track Racecity is closing at the end of this year. I might be heading up there more often in the future.:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts