Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Oil filters

3K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  Older Guy 
#1 ·
My new tuner told me to NOT use K & N oil filters that they are inferior to stock filters.

I use K & N because they are so much easier to install and remove...

Any comments from you guys?

#7 · (Edited)
The best filter out there is the Purolator (PureONE) part#PL14610. It's the same filter that's on the ZX12, ZX10, ZX636 etc. We spent long many hours debating this on the 12R boards & done tons of research and comparisons to find the BEST of the best filter. This filter strains out the smallest particles and has a Anti Drainback check valve, and more pleats for greater surface area.

Not saying that the OE filter is junk, but it's made by a company that's NOT anywhere near the top of the list for the highest quality filters. It meets the factory specs and that's great, but there are much better filters out there.

Also I'll say this a larger better flowing filter will give you free HP. It's worth 6 to 9 HP on a 500" PS motor. This is because the pump don't have to work against the restriction of the small filter thus allowing the motor to spin more fleely. = Free power
So just think about how much a stopped up dirty filter cost you.

OH! and best of all the PureONE is about 6 bucks compared to the Stealership model being 12 or so.

#11 ·
Older Guy said:
My problem is can't find a wrench for the stock filter - as is why I used the K & N.

Pep Boys nor does Cycle Gear have a filter wrench that small.

I don't like trying to punch a hole in a filter with a screwdriver to get it off.
hit up your local Honda shop and see if they have the cup style tool, one that fits over the end like a cup and a 3/8" drive.

BD

#17 ·
Oh no OG you don't have to punch any holes. I am sure you have much more experience than me...but just warm the bike up a bit.
Let it set till the pipes don't burn you and spin it off with your hand or (almost) any standard filter wrench.
The key for me has been to have the motor warm prior. Have you been doing this????

#19 ·
Big Daddy said:
hit up your local Honda shop and see if they have the cup style tool, one that fits over the end like a cup and a 3/8" drive.

BD
:+1:
I don't remember where I got mine, but that is what I use. Also, don't know what your thoughts on the subject are, but if you are torquing the filter to factory specs, try just tightening it a turn or so after the gasket makes good contact with the engine. I think the factory torque spec for a filter is crazy.

#21 ·
Older Guy said:
The smallest one of those Pep Boys carries is too large...
As BD said the Honda cup that fits a 15410-MN9-013 Honda filter, (a 900rr filter) will work perfectly.
MN9 should be enough for a honda parts guy to know which filter you want a wrench for.

The same filter fits a FZR 600 too so if a yami dealer is easier try therm.

Someone on the site just posted that they like the filter pliers but I love the filter cup with 3/8" ratchet and an extension. No problems at all.
You can always bend the cup a little and force it on in a pinch. Done that in the past for an overtight filter.

#22 ·
morrisjl2 said:
Oh no OG you don't have to punch any holes. I am sure you have much more experience than me...but just warm the bike up a bit.
Let it set till the pipes don't burn you and spin it off with your hand or (almost) any standard filter wrench.
The key for me has been to have the motor warm prior. Have you been doing this????
I do this very thing with every vehicle I have owned. Put it on by hand, take it off by hand.
Another good tip is to put some oil on the gasket so it spins on and makes good contact without tearing or bunching up.

#23 ·
What about the Scotts steel mesh oil filter?

#25 ·
Well Gunner...you were right on this one...

....Purolator (PureONE) part#PL14610....

I went into Pep Boys and took a look at one of these...

Guys, it is so obvous that this is a superior filter compared to the stock and K & N filter...

There is really no contest....

Thanks for the suggestions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.