Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Older Guy said:
The smallest one of those Pep Boys carries is too large...
As BD said the Honda cup that fits a 15410-MN9-013 Honda filter, (a 900rr filter) will work perfectly.
MN9 should be enough for a honda parts guy to know which filter you want a wrench for.

The same filter fits a FZR 600 too so if a yami dealer is easier try therm.

Someone on the site just posted that they like the filter pliers but I love the filter cup with 3/8" ratchet and an extension. No problems at all.
You can always bend the cup a little and force it on in a pinch. Done that in the past for an overtight filter.

morrisjl2 said:
Oh no OG you don't have to punch any holes. I am sure you have much more experience than me...but just warm the bike up a bit.
Let it set till the pipes don't burn you and spin it off with your hand or (almost) any standard filter wrench.
The key for me has been to have the motor warm prior. Have you been doing this????
I do this very thing with every vehicle I have owned. Put it on by hand, take it off by hand.
Another good tip is to put some oil on the gasket so it spins on and makes good contact without tearing or bunching up.

What about the Scotts steel mesh oil filter?

Older Guy said:
The smallest one of those Pep Boys carries is too large...
Just try another Pep Gurlz. Got one there b4. Bought my current through Ron Ayers, tho. Original [gasp] Honda tool. Works great.

BTW, I've used K&N air filters for years...

... on all my trucks. :mrgreen:

Stock is best for the 10, IMO.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Well Gunner...you were right on this one...

....Purolator (PureONE) part#PL14610....

I went into Pep Boys and took a look at one of these...

Guys, it is so obvous that this is a superior filter compared to the stock and K & N filter...

There is really no contest....

Thanks for the suggestions...

Older Guy said:
My new tuner told me to NOT use K & N oil filters that they are inferior to stock filters.

I use K & N because they are so much easier to install and remove...

Any comments from you guys?
I used a K&N oil filter and K&N air filter at 100+ events in 4 years of racing (ZX-9R) and I never had a single problem with either one.

My 10 still has the stock air filter and stock oil filter but Ill definitely be changing them out with K&N.

Older Guy said:
Well Gunner...you were right on this one...

....Purolator (PureONE) part#PL14610....

I went into Pep Boys and took a look at one of these...

Guys, it is so obvous that this is a superior filter compared to the stock and K & N filter...

There is really no contest....

Thanks for the suggestions...

I can't take any credit other than passing info on to others. We have a member over at one of the 12 sites that is the BEST I've ever seen at finding info on the products. His last name must be Google or something. He put a lot of time into researching filters last winter to come up with the PureONE being top of the line. He somehow even found specs and data on the OEM units that are used by the most all the Jap factories. The OEM filter was only middle of the road. The Scotts screen filter that someone ask about faired very poorly on the size of particulate that it will filter out.

Gunner said:
I can't take any credit other than passing info on to others. We have a member over at one of the 12 sites that is the BEST I've ever seen at finding info on the products. His last name must be Google or something. He put a lot of time into researching filters last winter to come up with the PureONE being top of the line. He somehow even found specs and data on the OEM units that are used by the most all the Jap factories. The OEM filter was only middle of the road. The Scotts screen filter that someone ask about faired very poorly on the size of particulate that it will filter out.
i read the same thing on this board last year...same about the pure one, same about the scotts...seems there are some 10R.netters with googlabilities as well...
BTW took a stocker with me to my local auto parts store and got a cup wrench that fit real well...switching to the pure one this time around...always good to bring this stuff up again and again and again...IMO

1killer1liter said:
What about the Scotts steel mesh oil filter?
Take a look at the mesh size for that filter, compare that to the oil clearances in the main and rod bearings (or even worse, the even thinner oil film thickness between a camshaft and a valve lifter), and you have your answer.

Also note that the last production automotive engine that used a screen and no proper filter was the air-cooled VW Beetle. A lot of the air-cooled die-hard folks retrofit modern filters onto those engines. Again, there's your answer.

I'll take pleated paper or depth-type filter elements in place of a sieve any day.

1killer1liter said:
I do this very thing with every vehicle I have owned. Put it on by hand, take it off by hand.
so your sayin you give it a hand job is that right?!! besides not everyone has paws/pads like a gorilla. :wink:

BD

Oooooo Ooooo Ahhh Ahhhh

Are the Pure 1 filters (PL14610)for the ZX-10R readily available at most Pep Boys or only select outlets. I'm guessing since it is not really a common part number they could be scarce but I don't know :dontknow: . They don't have any of these stores where I live so when I go to California in March I wonder if I can just wander in to a Pep Boys and pick up a few of them?

fun2fly said:
Are the Pure 1 filters (PL14610)for the ZX-10R readily available at most Pep Boys or only select outlets. I'm guessing since it is not really a common part number they could be scarce but I don't know :dontknow: . They don't have any of these stores where I live so when I go to California in March I wonder if I can just wander in to a Pep Boys and pick up a few of them?

Stopped by my local Pep Boys and they had a spot on the shelf for PL14610, but no filters. :sad: Clerk told me they get shipments in on Fridays, so they will have some tomorrow. At 6.99 each, I will probably pick up a few.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
fun2fly said:
They told me it is a stock item...

It's a very common size filter that's used on several cars. There's about 15 different part numbers of filters in different brands that will fit the 10. It's a very common size thread and sealing surface size.

I live in BFE, down here in South Texas. I have no trouble getting the PureOne PL14610 at Advance Auto. If you have trouble finding filters you might consider the generic WalMart filter, the Super Tech ST7317. It tested very well, surely better than that K&N crap, and cost something like two bucks. I used a couple when I did my break-in.

The PL14610 lists multipass efficiency at 98% and the ST7317 list multipass efficiency at 99%. The PurOne is made in the U.S., the ST7317 is hecho en Mexico.

WHy do you think the K&N is such crap. I have never heard of one of them ever coming apart or any bike around my parts ever having motor probs and this includes several of the local racers that use them.

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
sneaky said:
WHy do you think the K&N is such crap. I have never heard of one of them ever coming apart or any bike around my parts ever having motor probs and this includes several of the local racers that use them.
Take the K & N and the PURE ONE and put them side by side..

The difference will be obvious....

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.