Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a k and n on my bike...the oil filter tool doesnt fit because the filter is smooth...it has a 16mm hex on top of it, but when i try to loosen the filter the socket slips...

i bought this today on the recommendation of the guy at cycle gear

and maybe im doing it wrong, but all that this did was crush the sides of the filter.

ive been changing the oil on my motorcycles for about 100 years now and have never needed to ask for advice, but i just cant get the fugger off...

any help is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
please post whats the outcome of this because i bought a K & N filter to put on this weekend so I'd like to know if the filter is a pain in the ass I'll just sell it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Had the same problem of trying to get my K and N off. I ended borrowing an oversize set of channel lock pliers from my riding buddy and was able to get enough of a grip to twist it off. If that hadn't worked, it would have been the screwdriver method.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you punch it up thru the bottom you can drain the oil out of the filter first then proceed to take it off.....not as messy

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I just Heeman grip the sonufabitch's, they piss me off enough that my arm nearly turns green while ripping them off.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There has been tons of threads on this issue.
I have this remover that fits over the top of the oil filter. It is plastic and works every time.

Getting the factory filter off is a pain. Just search all the old threads. Haven't had a problem since the orignal came off.

·
Registered
839 Posts
try the metal band style wrench or try a standard size socket K & N is American so standard might fit better

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah I had the same problem with my K&N filter and I thought it was a 17mm nut on the end of those?? but the nut on my filter stripped so I put a hole in the filter to release the suction and then put some visegrips on the end and broke it free. the factory one was also a pain in the ass as my filter wrench would just spin on the end of it. but i finally got that damn thing off LOL .

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah I tried that and the one i had here did not fit it, was to big, then I went to walmart and got one and again that one did not fit either so i think i ended up bending it somehow

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Just get a Scotts lifetime filter. It comes with its own filter wrench adapter for use with a 3/8ths extension bar..

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I actually have all the tools mentioned already and like you Wicked I never thought a filter can kick my arse because I always know in the end I can do the screwdriver threw the filter method......but the last one was kicking my arse and because I have many tools to try, I tried one that actually surprised me to break it loose. The other ones mentioned already had issues like not enough clearance to get a good grip etc. but..........

I don't have a picture but it was one of my Plumber tools that has a plastic handle and a rubber thick band at about 1/2" wide to squeeze around the filter and it grabbed the filter better than anything else and Broke or finally turned it just a bit. Then I used my normal tool to remove it fully. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
454 Posts
i have a k and n on my bike...the oil filter tool doesnt fit because the filter is smooth...it has a 16mm hex on top of it, but when i try to loosen the filter the socket slips...

i bought this today on the recommendation of the guy at cycle gear

and maybe im doing it wrong, but all that this did was crush the sides of the filter.

ive been changing the oil on my motorcycles for about 100 years now and have never needed to ask for advice, but i just cant get the fugger off...

any help is greatly appreciated...
I'm pretty sure my k&n is like a 1 inch socket not metric is all i know

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah...but the nipple on the k and n is also sort of rounded...was a bitch to get off, but in the end i drove a screw driver through it...glad i had some cat litter laying around cause i made a hell of a mess

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The K&N filter sucks. I had 3 of them and each one would strip. You can use a Purolator PureOne car oil filter and it is easier to get off due to the grippy material they use for the outside of the filter. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

I am not sure the filter # but i can get it tonight and post it on here if anyone wants it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts