Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 4 track days decided to do an O and F on my Gen 1... I changed both oil and filter in April, today can I get the filter to budge !... no way... it's absolutely solid.

I put it on with a filter cap and torqued it as per manual..something I rarely do as far as an oil filter goes preferring hand tightening, why I changed the habit of a lifetime I'll never know.

Filter cap simply won't grip, ran out of time so will attempt again tomorrow with a strap, last time it's getting torqued.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
I’ve had that happen on my truck.

I had to punch a hole in it to let the oil drain out. Then flattened it enough to get it off with vice grip pliers.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Might grip with polythene under the filter cap to give a tight hold. For some reason I had same problem with my Gen1 after it had been changed at the dealers. I think the specified torque is 17N/m which should be OK, but I only ever hand tighten + 1/4 turn now.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
987 Posts
I am one of those if you can't get it with a massive chan lock then jam a large screwdriver through it and twist it out that way. Drain as much oil as possible first obviously.

·
Registered
227 Posts
try putting an air compressor nozzle right at the o-ring and give it a quick blast

·
Registered
96 Posts
try putting an air compressor nozzle right at the o-ring and give it a quick blast
What does that do? I've never heard this one, and I've changed a lot of oil and filters in my 45 yrs of life. If I find out that I've been wasting time and energy with that damn screwdriver..... I might drink another beer or four.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Go do dealer and buy another OEM filter “cap”, maybe yours has rounded edges inside. I’ve had same problem and a new cap grabbed better.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What does that do? I've never heard this one, and I've changed a lot of oil and filters in my 45 yrs of life. If I find out that I've been wasting time and energy with that damn screwdriver..... I might drink another beer or four.
sometimes it can free up the stuck gasket and allow you to spin it off

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry lads I forgot to finish this post off as I was busy last week then had two days on track... eventually got it off with one of those chain type wrench with the handle, why I torqued this rather than my usual hand tighten then a final 1/4 to 1/2 turn nip up... I don't know, guess I wanted to put her together correctly when I rebuilt her. I've done easily hundreds of O and F changes as I worked in the fast fit industry for years and have owned many bikes in my 41 year riding caree

Dharmond, if you think compressed air would release an oil filter, any oil filter by blowing against the O ring..... I'll have some of what your smoking..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,579 Posts
That picture reminds me of an old quote from an old guy I knew. Was something like "right tool for the right job" or "don't bring a knife to a gun fight". They make something called a strap-wrench for just such a thing. Not a strap-on like you use in the bedroom, a strap-wrench to grip it and twist it. It won't chew up the metal trying to grab it with pliers like that. When all else fails, punching it with the screwdriver to crank it off will work but it is messy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The best I've used is the snap on one.. theres a used one on EB UK for 60 bangers...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RIP oil filter...

You put up a good fight.
It was a bastard to release... next was the old screwdriver job... it happened on a previous Gen 1 also...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,579 Posts
It was a bastard to release... next was the old screwdriver job... it happened on a previous Gen 1 also...
Do you prefill the filter with oil to wet the filter element? And then use your finger to run a bit of oil around the o-ring prior to installing it? If not, then you should definitely get one of those strap-WRENCHES. If you do that though, the strap-wrench will be for emergency use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a stuck oil filter on my corolla where the belt wrench wouldn't fit properly for enough leverage. So here is what I did,

I bought a oil filter wrench, layered it up with the strongest 2 part epoxy and resin adhesive, stuck it as snug as possible to the oil filter (used a rubber mallet to tap it in), let it cure for 48 hours and then using an impact driver took off the filter. The wrench is ruined but its better than damaging the filter and having the oil leak, rendering the vehicle unusable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you prefill the filter with oil to wet the filter element? And then use your finger to run a bit of oil around the o-ring prior to installing it? If not, then you should definitely get one of those strap-WRENCHES. If you do that though, the strap-wrench will be for emergency use.
Only lube up the O ring, don't bother pre filling filter... doubt the latter has any effect whatsoever on eventual removal of the filter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts