Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from a few people that oil filters only need to be changed every 10,000 miles, does anyone know if there is any truth to that? It'd be nice to not havta buy a filter everytime but not it if it can cause damage over time. What's everyone think? -thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
FILTER CHANGE EVERY TIME!!!:badteeth::heyyou:

SuperTech filters from walmart...the number escapes me at the moment...i am sure someone can chime in with it, or you can do a search for it. They only cost $3 and perform well. Even if you could gett away with changing a filter every other oil change or so...the peice of mind is worth even with a more expensive filter:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seems like a lot to me depends on the oil and filter you run. i would cut that in half and change the oil and filter at the same time i go 4k miles on AMSOIL i change both

·
Registered
268 Posts
The owners manual say's oil & filter every 6000 to 7000 mi. I do mine every 2500 to 3000. and considering there is less than 4 quarts of oil in the oil pan and the motor see's 13,000 rpms regularly I don't think that is to often. the oil is your motors life blood after all :mrgreen:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok this beating a dead horse, go ahead and ask what tire to buy or what kind of oil to use...that hasn't been posted yet ;) Anyway..back to your question. I'll tell ya what I run and this is based on my own experience from owning multiple bikes in multiple years.

I have an '06, just rolled over 24k and yea I still love the shit out her so I'm not getting rid of 'er. I ride my bike everyday...not twice a week or 4 times a week...5+ days a week depending on my weekend plans.
I run Rotella T Synthetic in her and have done the same since 2000. Now I tend to get bored quickly and recycle my bikes every 2 years and I've had almost every make, they all run great on Rotella T Synth and when I get the oil analyzed there is nothing to very minimal wear signs in the oil, it's a great, cheap oil period.
I recently increased my change intervals to afround 5K, a bit less usually. Since there's no real measurable wear I extended the interval from 3k.
i recently changed my filter choice from OEM ($11) to Purolator PL14610 ($10 for 2) for a few reasons. First I've read great writeups on how great of a filter it is and secondly their cheaper than OEM.
I change the oil and filter everytime....because it's not that expensive and the oil is the life blood of my engine, don't abuse her unless you want her to let you down.

If you plan on maintaining a reliable machine then don't reduce it's reliability by letting dirt circulate in the internals of the engine. It's cheap insurance...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i just change mine everytime I do an oil change which is relatively frequent... I run it exclusively at the track and i imagine the internals get beat up a lot. I dont mind spending $$$ on the expensive oil etc.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I run Rotella T Synthetic in her and ... it's a great, cheap oil period.
I recently increased my change intervals to afround 5K, a bit less usually. Since there's no real measurable wear I extended the interval from 3k.
..... Purolator PL14610 ($10 for 2) .... I've read great writeups on how great of a filter it is and secondly their cheaper than OEM.
I change the oil and filter everytime....because it's not that expensive and the oil is the life blood of my engine.....
:+1: on rotella T and PL14610

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
everytime I change my oil the filter goes too.I do a oil change every 2000-2500 miles/full service ect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts