Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I change my oil do i need to replace the drain plug gasket?

Also does that drain plug and the oil filter need to be applied with a torque wrench or hand tighten be OK? thanx

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
you shouldn't have to replace the gasket...for the filter i always hand tighten that...just like a vehicle..i have been doing that for over 10 years..make sure you put oil on the filter before you put it on...for the plug you can use a torque wrench

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The washer should last many oil changes. The filter, I always hand tighten then turn it another quarter turn with a filter wrench.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The washer should last many oil changes. The filter, I always hand tighten then turn it another quarter turn with a filter wrench.
:+1: on the filter. Its probably not necessary... but then again maybe luckz is just strong enough to do it by hand. :lol: Anyways, along the lines of luckz's recommendation of using oil on the rubber filter gasket, I actually have had better luck with greese. The reason I use it is because it generally doesn't burn off as much as oil does therefore making it easier to get the filter off. Just my .02. I've done both but liked the greese better. Just a fine coat on the gasket will do wonders.

·
Registered
973 Posts
change the filter too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kawi1000, thanks for the heads up but its my first one i am doing myself. I have like 10,200 miles on it and I got a set of pit bull stands, service manuel, torque wrenchs, filter wrench, and other tools for chirstmas and wanna start doing my own maintance to save some $$... Sick of taking it to dealers....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anybody have exact oil amounts for the 07 10r??

The bike says 3.2 with out filter removed and 3.7 with filter removed...

How much do yall use??

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
And for no-mess oil change, wrap the headers with tinfoil during the filter removal - the oil will just roll right around the header with no mess!

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
And for no-mess oil change, wrap the headers with tinfoil during the filter removal - the oil will just roll right around the header with no mess!
Sorry for the bump of an oldie, but thats good info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i'm gonna have to wrap my headers with foil next time for sure; iw as cursing when the oil started drippin on the headers even tho I leaned the bike on both ways to get any oil filter oil out..

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
i'm gonna have to wrap my headers with foil next time for sure; i was cursing when the oil started drippin on the headers even tho I leaned the bike on both ways to get any oil filter oil out..
Yea man I did the foil trick and it worked GREAT!!! I got two lil drips on the headers while slipping out the foil so I didn't do too bad! I'll send some rep to the OP, that truely is a good idea :thumbsup:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Anybody have exact oil amounts for the 07 10r??

The bike says 3.2 with out filter removed and 3.7 with filter removed...

How much do yall use??
The oil amounts should be used as a guide, not a given. The best way is to have it upright on level ground (no, not up on the rear stand) and look through the sight glass. If you've got another pair of eyes get someone to just take up the pressure with a rear stand to it's upright, then you (or the other person) can check the sights glass. You can also do this by yourself but make sure you don't tip the bike on yourself.

With regards to the filter removal etc, just buy a filter wrench socket, they're the best way to go. I got one with a Honda filter ages ago and it fits the Kawasaki ones. Probably the same filter anyway!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, I just make myself an Alfoil drip tray. A few sheets thick, slide it under the filter and over the top of the headers and it just runs straight into the drain pan. Except last time, for some reason I had a brain fart and forgot to do it. Woops.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
:+1: on the filter. Its probably not necessary... but then again maybe luckz is just strong enough to do it by hand. :lol: Anyways, along the lines of luckz's recommendation of using oil on the rubber filter gasket, I actually have had better luck with greese. The reason I use it is because it generally doesn't burn off as much as oil does therefore making it easier to get the filter off. Just my .02. I've done both but liked the greese better. Just a fine coat on the gasket will do wonders.
Why would anyone ever need grease when you got the oil right in front of you ?

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
The oil amounts should be used as a guide, not a given. The best way is to have it upright on level ground (no, not up on the rear stand) and look through the sight glass. If you've got another pair of eyes get someone to just take up the pressure with a rear stand to it's upright, then you (or the other person) can check the sights glass. You can also do this by yourself but make sure you don't tip the bike on yourself.

With regards to the filter removal etc, just buy a filter wrench socket, they're the best way to go. I got one with a Honda filter ages ago and it fits the Kawasaki ones. Probably the same filter anyway!
:+1: on the filter wrench. You only got to buy it once and you can use em on cars/bikes/etc.

·
Registered
781 Posts
after being a mechanic for hond for 2 years... the damn kawi filter on my 10r was the hardest filter i have ever had to remove on the first change. my 6r was a sinch but the a0r i had to jam a long screwdriver through it and use a jack pipe to break it loose!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts