Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked briefly, and it looked like I can do an oil change on the '06' without removing the fairings. Anyone have an easy method of doing this? I would rather save the $170 that the stealership quoted me.

I also checked to see if this would void or affect my warranty and was told as long as I save the receipts, I shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart (as painful as it may be). Get a SuperTech oil filter (check http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ to see reviews of the filters). Pick up some Mobil1, and hit the tool section if you need any allen sockets. Go home, drop the lower fairing and have at it. It shouldnt take more than 30 mins and will only cost maybe $21 in oil/filter.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
No offense, but, damn. I can't believe how many people own bikes and can't do simple maintenance on them.

Like Zixxer said, all you need is a 4mm allen wrench and a flat blade screwdriver to get the lowers off. Then to get the oil out, I think you'll need a 17mm socket or wrench for the drain bolt. And if it's the bike's first oil change, you'll need a small explosive device to get the filter off. But other than that, it's cake. Really.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
phastone said:
No offense, but, damn. I can't believe how many people own bikes and can't do simple maintenance on them.

Like Zixxer said, all you need is a 4mm allen wrench and a flat blade screwdriver to get the lowers off. Then to get the oil out, I think you'll need a 17mm socket or wrench for the drain bolt. And if it's the bike's first oil change, you'll need a small explosive device to get the filter off. But other than that, it's cake. Really.
:crackup: ........ my :moped: doesnt need maintenance

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zixxer, Phastone,
Thanks for the info. And Phastone, no offence taken. I didn't say I couldn't do it. I was just wondering how easy it was since I hadn't really looked at it.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Abiagi said:
Zixxer, Phastone,
Thanks for the info. And Phastone, no offence taken. I didn't say I couldn't do it. I was just wondering how easy it was since I hadn't really looked at it.
:thumbsup: No problem, I'm glad I didn't piss you off. My wife says I come off like a concieted dick sometimes, especially when I'm talking about bikes.
But yeah, there's not much to it on these bikes. Except, like I said, getting the filter off after the factory tightens it to 100 ft-lbs or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts