Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Shop manual says

600-7500-15000-24000-30000 (Or once every year wichever comes first) and says to change the filter every time too.

For what its worth I would NEVER wait that long to change my oil! Some say to only change the filter every other oil change too, but I do it every time. I like to do mine every 3000 miles. And I do the chain (clean/lube) every 500 miles. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea, and the hand book that came with my last 600 said I should shift into 6th at 35MPH!?!? Haha!!! On the oil note, id wait till about 4000 to go over to full syn. I know lots of guys who did it a 600 though?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Really? Ive always done 3k? Maybe Ill go to 2k? Guess u can never do it too much! Do you do the filter every time too? I know a bunch of guys who SWEAR by every other change? I just cant bring myself to do it!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Really? Ive always done 3k? Maybe Ill go to 2k? Guess u can never do it too much! Do you do the filter every time too? I know a bunch of guys who SWEAR by every other change? I just cant bring myself to do it!
Change my filter every time. Why go to the trouble of putting new oil in and leave 1/3 of a quart of dirty oil in with all the crud in the filter? Beats me. :dontknow:

·
Registered
58 Posts
yea, I always thought that didnt make sence? Someone once told me that you CAN change oil too often too! Something about it needing to break down some to work right or something? It wasnt convincing enough for me to listen though. I still run the best oil in my car too. Its like 15000mi full syn and I still do it every 3000mi? More is better to me I guess?

·
Registered
92 Posts
i go 3500 with AMSOIL, changing your depends on if your bike runs a little rich to.. certain factors break oil down faster, If your running a stock bike 3k should be a good interval with syn.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,093 Posts
Actually the other way around. If you change the filter every 3000 miles and just top off the oil your good.
:+1:If your only doing one of the two, its better to change the filter and top off the oil. Its not unusual to run a high quality sythetic 6000 miles IF you are changing the filter. I wouldnt run dino oil that long though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would even go beyond that. It drives me crazy when people buy into that bs about changing theyre oil every 3000 miles.

Who started the whole 3000 mile oil change? Jiffy Lube. Who owns Jiffy Lube? Penzoil.

A rep from Royal Purple came into my school (MMI) a few months back and we had a 3 hour discussion on common myths of oil. That is the number one. The truth is todays oil will infact last way past 10000 miles, as long as the filter is changed. (Given the vehicle hasn't been sitting for a long period of time)

But if it makes you feel better to waste money on oil (not to mention a waste of oil, that might as well be gold now-a-days) then feel free. Theres a reason the manual says to change the oil every 7500, cause its not nescassary before that....

·
Registered
78 Posts
:2cents: I have been riding for forty years and in all that time I have used
kawasaki oil changed it every 4000 miles and no problems.
I put 180,000 miles on a 2001 R1 with kawasaki 10w40 oil and its still running.

·
Registered
777 Posts
For the guys that (blindly) change the oil every 2-3k miles: why? What's so special about that milage. Why not after every ride? Every weekend? Every full moon? Seriously, did that number just come to you in a dream or what?

And since we're talking about "tolerances" - do you change your fork oil that often as well? How about the nitrogen in your shocks? Coolant? Hey, why not swap out the brake pads and tires too - they're worn so they must be bad, right?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Every 3K??? Its not a freakin car! I would never go over 1K miles on a bike without an oil and filter change. Come on guys oil and filters are cheap compared to engine work.

CHANGE YOUR OIL AND FILTERS!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Every 3K??? Its not a freakin car! I would never go over 1K miles on a bike without an oil and filter change. Come on guys oil and filters are cheap compared to engine work.

Why not just change it after every ride? Youll get the same benefits. Nothing.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

I'm all about maintenance but damn, that's a little to extreme IMO. I would be changing my oil every couple weeks, LOL. 3-5k for me with amsoil and puralator pureone oil filter.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
^I guess 20 wt. oil is good for your bike but not mine. Apparently some of us are not aware of the shearing forces present in the transmission. After about 1500 miles the viscosity is at about half of its original value. I've sent oil samples to shell so I'm not blowing smoke. Not to mention the deposits left behind from combustion. Fuel is a solvent which breaks down lubricants. Now go smell your used oil, you will notice the stench of gas.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts