Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no manual, & I did a search, to no avail, so a quick 2 questions:

What is the oil capacity?

Is the Fram PH6017A okay? Its about 3/8 inch longer than the factory one.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Use the purolator pure one. PL14610

Oil capacity is just over 3 qts. I usually put in 3 crank it for a min or so, shut it down and fill to the site glass reads full.

Tread

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ill drain some out. I found a sticker low on the clutch cover when I washed it afterwards.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Is the bolt to drain the oil on the '06 zx10 on the left side bottom near the pipes? I wanna change my oil but i'm not quite sure if thats bolt to loosen to drain it.:dontknow: Can anyone tell me?

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
its the bolt on the left side facing 6 O' Clock on the oil pan. use a 17mm wrench or socket. i use a PL 14610 filter.

Ok thanx! I think thatz the one i thought it was initially? I'm gonna go get at it later on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quick caution when changing your oil and using a factory kawasaki oil filter........I changed my boys on his 03 kawi 6RR last week and his oil filter(kawasaki) has superceded to a new number and it is a little shorter. Problem I had is after changing the oil the oil light stayed on, shut it down immediately. Tried it 2 more times and the same thing. I thought we had the wrong filter so I took it off and was going to put the old one back on and I noticed the filter was dry on the inside, meaning it got no oil to it. So I filled it with oil and tried it again and the oil light went off. So you may have to do the same for your 10, but dont quote me on that. I havent changed mine since the new kawi filters came out.........anyone knows or care to comment on this:dontknow:

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Always pre soak your oil filter, that way the oil doesn't have to soak into the media before reaching vital engine parts.

Tread

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
It also help for the filter to not get an air lock which is what happened to you. Some members, simply cracked open the oil filter to allow the air out then re tighten. Its easier to just pre soak them, just buy a can of brake kleen when you get the oil to clean the headers and underside of the oil pan off when done.

Tread

·
Registered
447 Posts
so after running the bike for a min.......you're saying shut it off and then crack open the filter to relieve the air? But if I presoak the filter I wont have to do this?

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I always pre soak, tighen as normal, fil'r up and crank it, light goes out almost immediately.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
And don't forget to smear some oil on the new oil filter gasket/o-ring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts