Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. This might seem like a dumb question but have to ask. I just got my zx10r gen 4 last week and on pick up was advised by previous owner that I have to use Kawasaki oil and filter and that if I change not to use k&n or full synthetic oil. I have never heard of this and always used full synthetic on my previous bike and just kinda wanted to get confirmation that I can use it and also what brand do ya recommend for it? Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
771 Posts
Use whatever filter and synthetic oil you please. I've tried every different combination on my bike and it's still running perfectly. This is after 40,000km+ (2 years of all season Canadian riding) including periods of daily sub zero outdoor start ups in the winter. First oil change at 1000km was with non-synthetic and an OEM filter while still breaking in. Second oil change at 5000km was with Bel Ray 50/50 synthetic blend and an OEM filter. I then used Motul 7100 full synthetic with a Hi-Flo filters and this year I've been trying out Shell Rotella T6 5w40 with Hi-Flo filters. Every oil change has come out as expected with the oil being darker than new but particle free. I store my used oil for some time until I gather it all up and drive it to my local oil change place and pour it into their recycling container. Even though I've been using the same used oil bottles for years, they never have any particulate settled at the bottom as one might expect. This tells me that the Hi-Flo filters are doing their job just as they should. I even completed my own valve service recently and the cams and associated areas were very clean with no wear on the cams or journals.

Reactions: gonzosport9

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use whatever filter and synthetic oil you please. I've tried every different combination on my bike and it's still running perfectly. This is after 40,000km+ (2 years of all season Canadian riding) including periods of daily sub zero outdoor start ups in the winter. First oil change at 1000km was with non-synthetic and an OEM filter while still breaking in. Second oil change at 5000km was with Bel Ray 50/50 synthetic blend and an OEM filter. I then used Motul 7100 full synthetic with a Hi-Flo filters and this year I've been trying out Shell Rotella T6 5w40 with Hi-Flo filters. Every oil change has come out as expected with the oil being darker than new but particle free. I store my used oil for some time until I gather it all up and drive it to my local oil change place and pour it into their recycling container. Even though I've been using the same used oil bottles for years, they never have any particulate settled at the bottom as one might expect. This tells me that the Hi-Flo filters are doing their job just as they should. I even completed my own valve service recently and the cams and associated areas were very clean with no wear on the cams or journals.
WOW okay cool thanks for the info I appreciate it and everyone else that shared there thoughts as well

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
heard good stuff on hi flo, from different people in the industry, OEM is good... I use OEM.

oil, use the one that rocks your boat, I use RACE full syn repsol 10w50, I get it for free, and change it very often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts