Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, :hello:

just wondering if anyone has some exhaust noise problems by doing an oil change?

i did an oil change on my 05 zx6r just yesterday and on the way home from my bros house i noticed that at high revs down shifting and by slowing down that i hear lots of backfiring.
has anyone have any sort of problems such as this?

i used Motul 5100 10w40 4T as this was recommended by kawasaki dealers (race replica kawasaki) and a new kawasaki oil filter.

if anyone has any advise as to why this might be happening please don't be shy to give any theories or advises.
my only theory is that it could be the engine out of timing.

the procedure was:
1. fairings off the left side (everything needed is reachable from the left)
2. take the bolt off the oil sump.
3. take oil filter off
4. let it drip bone dry
5. new oil filter on (smearing the oil filter gasket with new oil)
6. put back the bolt on the oil sump
7. put in new motul 5100 4T 10x40 oil (all 4 litres)
8. ran the engine till warm
9. checked for any oil leaks (very important)
10. no oil leaks so fairings back on
and that was all that was done.
:dontknow:

-

·
Registered
609 Posts
You might have a little too much oil. I think it should be 3.9 QTs. 4 liters would be a little more than 4.2 QTs.

Don't know if that would cause backfiring?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
make sure the oil level is correct as per the markings on the oil window (sight glass). Unless the engine is absolutely dry, it will not hold 4L from just an oil change, it should be roughly 3.8L

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i actually checked the oil levels sticker just beside the oil window and it says:
Oil Cacity Litres
with oil filter 3.4
without oil filter 3.6
completely dry 4

i drained the engine completely.
a friend of mine says that it could just be the engine getting used to the oil... is there such a thing? although the previous oil used is the same brand (motul).

this picture is the result of 4L oil in the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to put my money on this... because mine does it when it is colder and when I am close to home (since I live in the hills)
you think its just the temperature... well it has been below 10degrees here in melbourne :dontknow:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oil Cacity Litres
with oil filter 3.4
without oil filter 3.6
completely dry 4

i drained the engine completely.
For the record "completely dry" does NOT equal "I drained the engine completely".

Completely dry means the engine has been disassembled. There are lots of pockets in the engine that will hold oil even when it is drained completely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm.... thanks for the info but i have already scheduled the bike in for a check up. theres really not much i can do or think of.
i guess its better to be safe than sorry.

appreciate all the help guys! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts