Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have seen this about a million times on many threads, but for the life of me, I can't find it, or remember what the answer was. I found the thread about the different oil filters, so I'm covered there, but what oil can I use instead of the oem crap at $30 a gallon.

And before you guys have the synth war pissing contest, I mean non-synth.

And if I was going to switch my bikes up to synth, is it really the soaking the cluth disaster the dealer is making it out to be, or is it just change out the oil and have a nice day??

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I know I have seen this about a million times on many threads, but for the life of me, I can't find it, or remember what the answer was. I found the thread about the different oil filters, so I'm covered there, but what oil can I use instead of the oem crap at $30 a gallon.

And before you guys have the synth war pissing contest, I mean non-synth.

And if I was going to switch my bikes up to synth, is it really the soaking the cluth disaster the dealer is making it out to be, or is it just change out the oil and have a nice day??

I only use Motul 300v full synthetic in all my toys. ZX10R, KX450F, KX250F, Pit bike... hell, I put it even in my pressure washer engine:lol:
Seriously, best oil money can buy IMO.

P.S.
-I have never taken a clutch out to soak it because of switching oil.
-I only soak brand new clutch plates in oil BEFORE installing them in the bike.
-I switched to the synthetic after the break in period.
-I change it every 3000kms

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Any of the top brands will do. Motul, Maxima, etc. Just don't make the mistake that many do and use something with a high "cold" viscosity. That's the first number in the _ w _ _ number on the label.

If you're debating switching, go ahead and do it. Your dealer, like most of them, doesn't know sh*t. There's no special process involved in switching. Just drain the old and replace with the good stuff.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I only use Motul 300v full synthetic in all my toys. ZX10R, KX450F, KX250F, Pit bike... hell, I put it even in my pressure washer engine:lol:
Seriously, best oil money can buy IMO.

P.S.
-I have never taken a clutch out to soak it because of switching oil.
-I only soak brand new clutch plates in oil BEFORE installing them in the bike.
-I switched to the synthetic after the break in period.
-I change it every 3000kms
jeez how mcuh does that cost you?

·
Registered
784 Posts
oops, forgot one more thing....

Motul 5100 4T Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is the BEST!!!

Yeah, I said it... that's what I use and that's why its the BEST :thefinger :thefinger :thefinger
:spit: :crackup: :heyyou:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oops, forgot one more thing....

Motul 5100 4T Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is the BEST!!!

Yeah, I said it... that's what I use and that's why its the BEST :thefinger :thefinger :thefinger
:spit: :crackup: :heyyou:
And that concludes the serious part of answering my question... let the pissing contest begin! :crackup:

In all seriousness thanks for the info, I figured it wasnt a big deal, but I wanted to check first.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
jeez how mcuh does that cost you?
Its expensive... but its the best and I can see it when I rebuild the dirt bike engines. Even in the Pressure washer 13hp engine... when I use cheap oil, I have to change it very often, it seems to break down faster and go dark quickly. The 300V systhetic has a green colour and even after 3000Kms in the bike, or a season with the pressure washer engine, the oil almost looks like it did when I put it is. Also, I notice that the motul oil sticks to my fingers allot more than normal oil.... seems like it coats the moving parts better.

I wont argue over what oil to use...they all work, but I found the oil that I find works best, and I am using it in ALL my expensive toys including our race MX bikes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
im up on my ouil change and no idea what the past owner used but it feels good if that makes sence and engine runs strong now will switching to full synthetic diesil oil have any unforseen effects on my engine since shes over 9k miles?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
yeah that Motul oil is very green in color but there is the Motul 5100 10W40 that is clear in color I found it on a different site.... im wondering what that looks like when ya drain it after you change the oil once, then add it again so alot of the old dark oil is drained out...

Attachments

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
yeah that Motul oil is very green in color but there is the Motul 5100 10W40 that is clear in color I found it on a different site.... im wondering what that looks like when ya drain it after you change the oil once, then add it again so alot of the old dark oil is drained out...
I use that same Oil 5100....as far as what it looks like....well just like any other oil drain like when you drain a car....BLACK. :lol:

Why do I use it? :dontknow: ...just know I never had problems with it and my bike is in Very good health with about 25k miles and still runs very strong. I even bought a 4 Quart Container the other day from a small and friendly Motorcycle Store for ONLY $30.....I also paid as much as $10 per Quart from the Dealer. :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I use that same Oil 5100....as far as what it looks like....well just like any other oil drain like when you drain a car....BLACK. :lol:

Why do I use it? :dontknow: ...just know I never had problems with it and my bike is in Very good health with about 25k miles and still runs very strong. I even bought a 4 Quart Container the other day from a small and friendly Motorcycle Store for ONLY $30.....I also paid as much as $10 per Quart from the Dealer. :badteeth:

yeah i wondered about the clear oil going in and how it looked comming out LOL... I might try some of that oil.. ive been a huge fan of AMSOIL but kinda thinking of changing it up some...

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
yeah i wondered about the clear oil going in and how it looked comming out LOL... I might try some of that oil.. ive been a huge fan of AMSOIL but kinda thinking of changing it up some...
Well I also use the Motul 5100 10W-40 because I live in Cali....I don't think I need that thicker stuff but admit I am not an Oil expert by any means so if someone thinks there is a better reason for me to switch I will listen but as far as I know the 10w-40 for my climate and racing style (drag strip) is the best weight.

bloo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.