Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched threads but couldn't find anything with the exact symptoms. A few days ago I went out to my bike in the morning and noticed my underneath lights were on somehow. So I turned them off and assumed battery was about dead. Sure enough turned the key and nothing happened. I put the battery on the charger for the day while at work. Once charged I put it back in and it wouldn't start still. Cranked once but wouldn't catch so I push started it and it started for a second then died reguardless how much throttle I gave it. So I backed it up again and noticed gas dripping from exhaust so I took the slip off off and the exhaust was full of fuel so I lifted the front and let the fuel drain.. Did the push start/drain cycle a few times loosing about 3 gallons total. Took out the plugs and let it sit about two days trying to evaporate all the access fuel. Put it back together. Tried starting it. Cranked once and stopped. Push started it. This time it let me ride about 100 yards while constantly increasing throttle to maintain about 2k rpm until I couldn't twist anymore and it stalled. Looked down and realized that during the 3 seconds of riding there had been oil coming from exhaust.. So put the bike away and haven't touched it since. It's a 2008 with only 4000 miles.. Babied and I never redline. I'm thinking head gasket or maybe piston ring but don't have a good cause for the piston ring to go bad.. Someone mentioned something about the vacuum the fuel pump uses. Idk. Any ideas?

·
Registered
283 Posts
hydrolocked due to 3 gallons of liquid gasoline going through the engine while attempting to start it?

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
757 Posts
If you've had that much gas floating about, it may well have diluted your oil down too... Check your oil level in the sight glass....

You may have an engine full of oil/gas mix!

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you've had that much gas floating about, it may well have diluted your oil down too... Check your oil level in the sight glass....

You may have an engine full of oil/gas mix!
This too, if you didn't hydrolock it, it could wash the cylinders down and cause you to lose compression eventually as well as killing bearings.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,629 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got a stuck injector. A leaking injector will fill a cylinder fuel of fuel in short order. If the motor is stopped in a position where the exhaust valves are open, then the fuel drains into the exhaust pipe once the cylinder is full. A stuck injector would also explain the poor running once you got the motor going. If fuel is left in the cylinders, it will find it's way past the piston rings and into the bottom end where the oil is.

But holy crap that's a lot of fuel to take out! And if you have raw fuel in your cylinders in that quantity - DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT attempt to start or run the motor! Liquid is not compressible and you can easily hydrolock it as mentioned (if you haven't already done that). If that happens, you're likely to bend connecting rods, the crank, the valves, bust open the engine block, pop the head off, etc. It's VERY bad and will turn your motor into a paperweight faster than you can let go of the starter button.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: opened it back up. Siphoned fuel out of cylinders 2 and 4 and from on top of my throttle body. Cleaned everything up. Started it. Started fine with the battery and idled fine. Started spurting out just a very little oil so I turned it off and pulled the oil plug and fuel began pouring out. Very little if any oil came out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You need to drain your oil asap and change the filter. Gasoline in the oil will thin down oil to nothing and lead to spun bearings. Then you'll need to pull your injectors out and have them checked. If you are lucky, its not destroyed.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,629 Posts
You need to drain your oil asap and change the filter. Gasoline in the oil will thin down oil to nothing and lead to spun bearings. Then you'll need to pull your injectors out and have them checked. If you are lucky, its not destroyed.
Damn straight. Yikes!

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
Just had a similar issue, had intake cam installed a tooth off, must have been adding fuel to the cylinder and not burning off, ended up blowing the head gasket after I corrected the timing and it tried compressing the liquid. Fun stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts