Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hears what happened on my brief ride today.
I was out for maybe 10 minutes, and riding along with my buds. We stabbed the throttle and all of a sudden i lost traction and the motor raced to red line. I let off and re-applied the throttle and bang right to red line again. Little did I know, the rear wheel was smoking as it was spinning. The oil dumped out all over the road, and the coolant dumped out too. Nearest I can tell it was coming from the oil filter. I pulled over immediately after my bud flagged me down (don't have mirrors on the bike so didn't see the tire spinning and smoking) maybe went 500ft. I looked through the oil level glass, and saw green coolant in it, checked the oil fill plug and it was green too. The motor sounded fine when I shut it off. Didn't sound like any catastrophic failures, but something had to give.
Anyone have any ideas at what happened?
Just kind of want to know what to look for instead of going in blind.
Im probably going to try and take the head off tomorrow and have a look. Does anyone know if i have to drop the motor to get at the head, or will it come off with it still in the bike?
BTW, the bike has 12000km on it, and it is a 2008.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ok hears what happened on my brief ride today.
I was out for maybe 10 minutes, and riding along with my buds. We stabbed the throttle and all of a sudden i lost traction and the motor raced to red line. I let off and re-applied the throttle and bang right to red line again. Little did I know, the rear wheel was smoking as it was spinning. The oil dumped out all over the road, and the coolant dumped out too. Nearest I can tell it was coming from the oil filter. I pulled over immediately after my bud flagged me down (don't have mirrors on the bike so didn't see the tire spinning and smoking) maybe went 500ft. I looked through the oil level glass, and saw green coolant in it, checked the oil fill plug and it was green too. The motor sounded fine when I shut it off. Didn't sound like any catastrophic failures, but something had to give.
Anyone have any ideas at what happened?
Just kind of want to know what to look for instead of going in blind.
Im probably going to try and take the head off tomorrow and have a look. Does anyone know if i have to drop the motor to get at the head, or will it come off with it still in the bike?
BTW, the bike has 12000km on it, and it is a 2008.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
sounds like the head gasket to me

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i agree that it sounds like the head gasket, if any coolant channels cracked in the block its game over. hopefully you shut it down before any major internal problems occurred, although that can happen real fast.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Make sure the oil cooler and the water pump are in proper condition before you start tearing the engine apart.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guy's.
Now will i be able to pull the head with the motor still mounted in the bike or will i have to drop the motor first?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Repeat: make sure the problem is not the oil cooler!!

Do a proper diagnosis on this before you start ripping stuff apart to fix stuff that isn't broken while not fixing what's actually broken ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Repeat: make sure the problem is not the oil cooler!!

Do a proper diagnosis on this before you start ripping stuff apart to fix stuff that isn't broken while not fixing what's actually broken ...
Oh ya for-sure. As I take the plastics off, I'll take a look at everything so I can rule the obvious things out. The last thing i want to be doing is tearing into the motor while we still have riding weather here.
I just want to know so if it does come down to the head I've got a heads-up:wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, here is where I'm at now, drained oil and coolant (what was left anyway), removed oil filter (spin-on type) and the outer gasket had puked out, so thats where all the fluids were escaping from. Removed oil cooler and the only o-ring on it looks to be in great shape. It is on the outer rim, Have no idea on how to inspect the internals of the cooler as it doesn't look like it can be disassembled to verify. Next thing now on the list is the water pump. Hopefully there will be an obvious o-ring or something that sticks out like a sore thumb, that caused these problems.
Will post other updates as they come..

·
Registered
819 Posts
If its just the filter replace it with a reusable stainless flow filter. Never have to buy another filter and you can inspect for internal issues on every fluid change. Dwayne at Cycle Concepts sells them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya it was a K&N filter, it was on the bike when I got it. They're not my number one choice for oil filters anyway.
Just finished pulling the water pump and the mechanical seal behind the impeller looks good with no cracks on either face, the o-ring behind the seal looks good too.
I just filled up the coolant side of the oil cooler with water, plugged the one end with my thumb and used a syringe and pressurized it as best i could, and there was no water evident on the oil side of the cooler.
Now I'm stuck scratching my head wondering what to check next...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Was there steam coming out the exhaust when it happened (ask your ridding buddy behind you)? If so, I would suspect the Head gasket failed also. I would suspect redlining it twice with coolant in the oil would have toasted some bearings. This is the second K&N horror story I have heard. I am glad I have always used O.E.M. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No steam/white smoke coming from the exhaust, so it doesn't look like any got into the combustion chamber.
I've always used oem filters this one just came with it already on it.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
No steam/white smoke coming from the exhaust, so it doesn't look like any got into the combustion chamber.
I've always used oem filters this one just came with it already on it.
My suggestion, if it were a car, would be to flush the motor and do like 2-3 oil & filter changes (cheap oil). On a motorcycle with a wet-clutch, I don't know what to tell you (couple of oil changes in a day w/ cheap oil and see if you hear any knocking). :dontknow: I would start looking for a wrecked 3rd gen and buy the motor if you can't do a warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Are you sure that you had a coolant leak. What lead you to believe that you did? Some synthetic oils are green.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Motul 300V has a greenish colour. I betcha there's nothing wrong with the engine other than that improperly-installed oil filter ...

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Motul 300V has a greenish colour. I betcha there's nothing wrong with the engine other than that improperly-installed oil filter ...
That's my thought too, I was running ELF synthetic for a while and it was green as well. Waiting for the OP to confirm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know for a fact it wasn't just green oil. I've checked the site glass the last three times I took the bike out and the oil was the regular clear brown colour, including this last time.
I think I may take it to a mechanic just down the road here that also races bikes, so he can have a look at it. As I just don't want to get in over my head here to quickly.
Does anyone know off hand how much coolant comes out of the motor when you drian it from the drain plug without emptying the reservoir?
I got just under 2L.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts